Boss 351 on Evilbay $12,500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. These guys on ebay are smoking crack. $12,500 for what amounts to a rare VIN, and nothing else?
Yep..Hardcore..Unfortunately most of the sellers are still stuck in the fantasy land of what fleabay USED to be 10 years ago..They need to get real & get with the times those days are long gone !

Woooww, that car looks quite the mess. It doesn't look like any of the body can be salvaged. If they are showing that body rust,can you imagine what underneath the car looks like. Yikes. As for the price, up here we call it the" Barrett Jackson Effect", people think just because it is older and maybe rarer, its worth alot. Sometimes old and rusty is just old and rusty.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be cool to bring it back, but man that'll take deeper pockets than most people I know. And even then, it would only be worth attempting if the engine is original and rebuildable. And if the price was, I don't know, about $12,000 lower? We're talking $60,000 or more for a concours style resto on that basket case. If I remember right, one of the '71 351 BOSS cars at Barrett-Jackson went for $48,000. Economically it makes no sense.

Listen,

I don't understand what the big hoopla is about it being a Boss.. If you want a Boss you can make a Boss..If you want a Q-code you can make a Q code If you want an M code you can make a M code..The only thing that separates these cars from a true clone is the vin that's it. so if you HAVE to HAVE bragging rights that the vin shows a true car, more power to ya..For all intensive purposes any one of the above codes can be made from a plain jane car. Tell ya what.. I will be like a pig in s**t when I build my 67 shelby CLONE..That I will have just as much if not more fun driving than a real one.

Listen,

I don't understand what the big hoopla is about it being a Boss.. If you want a Boss you can make a Boss..If you want a Q-code you can make a Q code If you want an M code you can make a M code..The only thing that separates these cars from a true clone is the vin that's it. so if you HAVE to HAVE bragging rights that the vin shows a true car, more power to ya..For all intensive purposes any one of the above codes can be made from a plain jane car. Tell ya what.. I will be like a pig in s**t when I build my 67 shelby CLONE..That I will have just as much if not more fun driving than a real one.
It is an original Boss. They only made ~1700 of them for one year.

The original owner would propably feel bad knowing what the car

would be worth today had he taken better care of it.

I think they sold for $3600 off the showroom floor.

mike

Wow - that Boss 351. Amazing. Finally, a bigger POS than mine that someone wants WAY too much money for. Interesting. :D

Listen,

It is an original Boss. They only made ~1700 of them for one year.

The original owner would propably feel bad knowing what the car

would be worth today had he taken better care of it.

I think they sold for $3600 off the showroom floor.

mike
Mike I understand all that & know the facts numbers well..The point I was trying to make is this..If I built you a true clone.(for a lot less than what it would take to restore that original car) When your in the drivers seat banging 2nd gear holding on for dear life is that vin number gonna mean anything ? I already know the answer :D Let the collectors with uber deep pockets deal with it..The avarage guy can still have his dream car & have some change left over for a nice dinner The body is the body..You want a 429 than clone it, you want a boss then clone it..Build what you want

If it matters to anyone, I paid $6500 for my Boss 351 project, with original drivetrain and the only rust in the taillight panel and a little of the trunk by the taillight panel. It was missing the possums, and a few rare factory parts, but I could justify the cost. I don't think the ebay car is worth the cost of shipping it somewhere.

Steve

(Shamless plug)

By the way, as it turns out, mine is the only 71 Mustang that was painted black with the interior it has. How's that for 1 of 1?

boss2a.jpg

I think the eBay seller is selling the VIN#'s and essential parts needed (along with a Boss title) to convert a non-Boss into a fake Boss...or he's so attached to the car he doesn't want to let it go!

damn that car is rusted up. when i see cars like that i am sooo happy i got my boss in the shape it was in. btw 1806 bosses were made. 261 were exported and around 11 went to switzerland. i have one of those 11 :)

i feel sorry for that old car. i'd love to save it but as Q said it would be easier buying a better shell and transfering everything.

abudi

If it matters to anyone, I paid $6500 for my Boss 351 project, with original drivetrain and the only rust in the taillight panel and a little of the trunk by the taillight panel. It was missing the possums, and a few rare factory parts, but I could justify the cost. I don't think the ebay car is worth the cost of shipping it somewhere.

Steve

(Shamless plug)

By the way, as it turns out, mine is the only 71 Mustang that was painted black with the interior it has. How's that for 1 of 1?
Steve I think that's a great price for the real deal congrats. This E-bay Boss is worth maybe 2500 maybe.

Steve

(Shamless plug)

Hi Steve, my car was the only one its year with its particular combination of options as well. I think it is kind of a fun fact. I will forgive you the shameless plug. Melody

Hi Steve, my car was the only one its year with its particular combination of options as well. I think it is kind of a fun fact. I will forgive you the shameless plug. Melody
Congrats! It is kind of fun. I was actually a little disappointed when I got the deluxe Marti. I've seen reports where it goes through 20 options or so to get down to 1 of 1, with numbers for all the options. Mine stopped almost immediately.

Steve

:( It is very sad to see it in that condition, if my money situation were better and it sold cheap I would buy it to save it rather than see it turn to dust or scrap, then garage it and try to restore it myself at some later date.

AJ

Back