building a 351c 4v on a budget!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the valves are stock they will have ford in an oval on the face. If so you need new 1 piece valves as the originals were made in two pieces and then welded together and have a nasty habit of popping off and destroying the engine.

Economy in the right places is very understandable, but some things must be done right to have a reliable engine. This is one of those thing.

D1ZE-da heads are OPEN chamber

That changes everything

Plus someone made them screw in studs - that work needs to be checked

The cars VIN will be stamped into the back of the block

Back LH corner under head on block

D1ZE-DA

71-72 351CJ

71 351C

Valves 2.19, 1.71

73-76cc (Open chamber)

In port 2.50 x 1.75

Ex port 2.00 x 1.74

D1ZZ-6049-C

Low quality pics sorry! The valves have the ford symbol on them

Number on block underneath by mains says D0AE-D

20121025_170705.jpg

20121025_170835.jpg

20121025_171249.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those valves will need to be replaced to be safe. Another member lost an engine recently to a set of factory ford cleveland valves :(
Definately replace those valves or things can get ugly fast!!!

1zg80g0.png

Those valves will need to be replaced to be safe. Another member lost an engine recently to a set of factory ford cleveland valves :(

1zg80g0.png

2jte1w.png

dm8i39.png

there is a small machione shop locally that the guy said he would re do each head for 250 each? 3 angle valve job and i forget what else new seatS? obviously i wanna put some higher quality valves in it for sure

1zg80g0.png

o wow! valves are top of my list!

1zg80g0.png

2jte1w.png

dm8i39.png

If you need a crank i can donate my old one to save ya a couple bucks. You pay shipping. I will check it out when i get the motor tore down. But it should be fine. i believe its cut 10-10. Only about 5000 miles Maybe??? Im going with a scat crank. May be able to donate some ARP rod and main bolts also that are in the bottom end. I believe my new kit comes with all arp fasteners so i wont need my old ones.

thats a great offer ill let you know! would a crank from a 351 2v work? i have one of those also i wanna start calling around to local machine shops to get some prices but i dont wanna sound like an idiot.

thats a great offer ill let you know! would a crank from a 351 2v work? i have one of those also i wanna start calling around to local machine shops to get some prices but i dont wanna sound like an idiot.
They are all the same. 2v and 4v. Where in pa you located?

there is a small machione shop locally that the guy said he would re do each head for 250 each? 3 angle valve job and i forget what else new seatS? obviously i wanna put some higher quality valves in it for sure

1zg80g0.png

1zg80g0.png

2jte1w.png

dm8i39.png
Are you planning on sleeving that cylinder with all the debri in it??? Somethings not right there!!!:s Looks like a big hole in the side of it, unless I am not seeing it correctly!!!!:dodgy:

1zg80g0.png

1zg80g0.png

2jte1w.png

dm8i39.png
Are you planning on sleeving that cylinder with all the debri in it??? Somethings not right there!!!:s Looks like a big hole in the side of it, unless I am not seeing it correctly!!!!:dodgy:
I talked to the machine shop and they said they could resleeve the cylinder but i decided to just get a new block and start from scratch. I had a valve break and take out the piston, rod and cylinder wall. There is a long thread on here i posted a while ago. Decided to build 408 cleveland stroker.

near allentown pa u?

near allentown pa u?
about hr north of pittsburgh

o nice! im going to do some reasearch around to see my expenses for getting the block checked and cleaned up as well as my rods reconditioned, what pistons are everyone using i wanna be able to run pump gas 93.

My high school (1982) '73 Grand Torino Sport had a ultra low budget drivetrain.

73Torino83trophy.jpg

I'm sure there will be nay-sayers, but the transplanted 351W in it was a lot of fun. Picked from a junkyard '72 Torino (surely it wasn't original at that), we put in a mildly lumpy hydraulic Crane cam (IIRC it was under 230* duration), a totally mismatched Offy 360* single plane (it was a cheap swap meet score), 750 vac secondary carb (waaay too big), unknown headers and stock, slushy FMX. The rest was stock... complete original cast dished piston bottom end, mildly ported closed chamber '69-70 heads with stock original valves and guides... no guideplates...

We may have put rings and bearings in, maybe. A big maybe.

Coulda been original valvesprings, been too long ago to remember.

I ran the crap out of that car for at least 2 years.

Everything was mismatched in the engine/trans/heavy car... it ran 15.40's with 4.11's and 26" tires, 16.40's with the 2.73's.

Valves floated at 5600 r's, even though it ran out of breath at 5100.

Didn't care.

It was fun.

The car looked friggin' awesome.

Didn't burn oil. No knocks. Never left me stranded.

IIRC, it even got some acceptable gas mileage.

Me? Hell yes, I'd do that again.

Certainly have become a bit more educated since 1982, so my component choices would be different. BUT... if on a SCHOOL BUDGET, and bores were "acceptable", valve guides weren't egged out, crank didn't look like a Molly Hatchet "Flirtin' With Disaster" record album... damned right I'd slap a cam and dual plane on it and fire it up!

The fun factor's there, man. I would, however, worry about breaking that 4 bolt block with a redneck rebuild. Source yourself another 2 bolter, and have at it.

So it might run 14.0's instead of 13.0's.... turn 5200 instead of 6500 R's... PFFFTTTTT!!!! SO WHAT???

Big spender for a cruiser?

Not me, Bub.

Pete

that sounds like just a all around fun ride, im more worried about how it looks and just want it to have some muscle andd sound good! as i will probaly put a blower on my 87 in the future since its built for it if i want something really quick to zip around in . the car will def turn heads when its done as far as i know in my area ive only seen one 72 mach so im looking to stand out!

A 351 Windsor with 9.5:1 compression, Edelbrock heads, 750cfm carb and a cam: 224/232 @ .050 535/545-112 will make 400 flywheel HP. If the Cleveland heads are that much better, you should get at least that. I would go with the Edrebrock Air Gap intake over a single plane.

Okay...here is the analogy I should have posted...

In my opinion, your motor is like Pam Anderson's body. It is pretty tough to get to the bottom end, so you better take care of business while it is out. But the top end is always open to poetic license.

And, I took the time to apologize to 87fox72mach for my rudeness. Sorry to you guys too. Your better than that.

Back