C4 : No kick down !

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
The C4 trans in my Mustang has been changed a few years ago before I bought the car.

My car doesn't have a kick down, there is no linkage between the trans and the carb, and it seems the trans doesn't even have the "connection" for the kickdown.

Is it possible to "add" a kickdown with this kit ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-KD-20C4HT/

Why doesn't the C4 have a kickdown link ? Is it possible to add it ?

The c4 came with kickdown. You will also need to locate the strange and graceful kickdown rod. It looks like a piece of electrical conduit pipe! It has 2 graceful curves and a slight twist to align from the throttle side of the carb to the side of the trans. The ends are compressed flat for the linkage connection. When installed it kinda rattles side to side because its so long and isnt supported anywhere other than the ends. I had gone as far as ordering a Lokar cable designed to replace the rod but after i saw the weak design by Lokar i decided against it and stuck with the strange original Ford design. As one old timer (who had 2 circle track cars in his garage) said to me: "cables break. "

I screwed up and made my factory kick down rod useless 'bout 15 yrs ago. Could not find a replacement so I fabricated one using brake line tubing. Flatten both ends, drill the required holes, used a tubing bender to make the bends at the right places. It took most of a day and a couple replacement lengths of tubing when I messed up during the process, but it's worked perfect ever since.

Sly,

My previous 73 Coupe had a c4 without a kickdown. I had the tranny rebuilt and they installed a kickdown kit. They charged me an additional $135. It was like driving a different car, way more fun to drive with the kickdown!

I screwed up and made my factory kick down rod useless 'bout 15 yrs ago. Could not find a replacement so I fabricated one using brake line tubing. Flatten both ends, drill the required holes, used a tubing bender to make the bends at the right places. It took most of a day and a couple replacement lengths of tubing when I messed up during the process, but it's worked perfect ever since.
I have done that too with a stick of 1/2" EMT, worked great

Back