C6 knowledge requested

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I was given a C6 transmission removed from a 1972 Torino 351C 4v. The case is badly broken so, I'm taking it apart to save the good bits. The tag reads PGA AF1. I believe the convertor, flex plate, governor, and servo (L) are somewhat unique to the 351CJ models. Is the valve body, or other parts, worth saving? Any information would be helpful. Thank you. Chuck

Here's something from Fordification on the servos and levers. I don't know anything about the valve body, but I might be interested in the shift lever.

I'd be curious how many teeth the speedo drive gear (on output shaft) has, also. Do you know what rear end this trans was coupled with?

1728236104548.png

Here's something from Fordification on the servos and levers. I don't know anything about the valve body, but I might be interested in the shift lever.

I'd be curious how many teeth the speedo drive gear (on output shaft) has, also. Do you know what rear end this trans was coupled with?

View attachment 93799
Thanks for the information. I don't have the tail shaft housing off yet. I will post the tooth count when I do. On gear ratio, my guess would be 3.00 or 3.25. The car is LONG gone. I also have the engine which may be scrap, locked up hard. It has never been apart before so there may be some hope of saving the 4 bolt block. I think the engine and trans was removed by 3 silver back gorillas who managed to break everything that could be readily broken.
Chuck

When I swapped a c6 into mine (was an FMX) I had to modify the linkage for the gear selector. I don't know how 'unique' each of these are but don't throw it away!
The tag decodes as column shift on the gear selector, too bad. Chuck

The C6 used behind the 351 wasn't particularly exciting as far as internals go. Clutch plate count was ho-hum. The CJ in the Torino came with 3.25 gears standard for automatics, same as Mustang. AC required the 3.25 gearset, but you could order a 3.50 if you didn't check the AC box.

The couple C6es I built, we'd get a longtail from a 460 Lincoln at the scrap yard, since they were practically free. We'd put the guts into a small block C6 case with a Trans Go shift kit.

1728251020326.png

Back