Cam Specs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have a 2800-3000 stall converter and 3.50 gears, without a 4th gear I just felt 3.91 would be a bit steep.
not for a seven thousand rpm cam if you want it fast off the line like i said . . at the very least i would run 3.73 gears but if you run 3.50 gears with a seven thousand rpm cam, an identical car with 3.91 gears will smoke you.

Is a solid lifter cam of today not much hassle or do you still have to reset lash every time you play?
you can leave solid lifters for a year in a daily driver IF you use high quality parts.

I'm starting to think 7000rpm may be a bit too much. But that being said I want to feel the classic "PULL" of a well built cleveland. The one I have now is 350hp with 375ft lbs tq, tops out at 5500 rpm and it feels GOOD, but I think there is plenty of room for improvement. I do plan on building a VERY strong valve train this time around as I will have a couple years to build this time. I'm going to do a lot of cam research and build everything else to suit. Is a solid lifter cam of today not much hassle or do you still have to reset lash every time you play?
in general, i dont think 6800 - 7000 is "too much" but i do think it is too much for 3.50 gears.

a custom cam is an easiuer choice than trying to figure which off the shelf cam is best but i and several others here can steer you in the right direction.

if you want high revs without sacrificing low end power, use light pistons and light valves, springs and retainers . . and by all means, use push rods with an .080 wall thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input gents, lots of food for thought!! I guess when I say "Boss", I mean the right block and heads, and about 400hp. Most of my reading about guys who own real Bosses usually do the few little things they can do to top off around 400hp. Not "all" but a lot of them do. And when you pop my hood I want the motor to "Look" like a Boss motor. Thats hard to do with most aftermarket intakes, and too many electronic control modules under the hood. Not to mention, I have very limited experience when it comes to all the different things you can do to these car now days, I'm still walking the "experience" road. Most of all I want to have fun doing all these things, and still have something that is keeping me happy. I will keep you guys posted along the way, Today I pick up my 4 bolt block!

Back