Can i install a 71/72 grill in my 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

york0060

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v, Auto
I was wandering is it is possible to install a grill from a 71/72 mach 1 into my 73? As anyone looked into this. I just have always liked the grill better on the 71's.

Should fit in there just fine. Be prepared for some minor tweaks and adjustments, though (as with anything of this nature). ::thumb::

I do too!

To fit a 71-72 grill, you will need the proper grill support-the release is shaped differently and while it could be cut and bent to work, it would be better to get the right support as the contours are a bit different. Your turn signal sockets will fit without any change to the wiring. You will need the trim rings (I think they are actually called headlight doors for some reason) https://www.dallasmustang.com/headlight-door-1971-1972-die-cast-lh.html?gclid=CMWBvKHju8oCFdgLgQodlzAPXQ and finally you will need to alter the lower lip on the grill to keep it from interfering with the bumper. I trimmed the lip off. I think it looks good, but in retrospect the cost to convert it and to end up with a bastardized front end that is not correct for any year probably would convince me not to do it again.

Isn't there a problem with the turn signals on a 73 going to the sportslamps with a 72 grille? The 73 lamps have a ground, running lights, and turn signals. The 71/72 sportslamps only have ground and running lights.

I understand you liking the 71-72 grill better but I agree with Jeff I probably wouldn't do it just for the fact of all the additional mods required and the end result. That's just my opinion but then I'm a purist when it comes to our cars as both Randy (midlife) and Jeff73mach1 can attest. In the end it's your car do what you like and what makes YOU happy.

I wouldn't...the vertical signals lights makes them unique.... I did put a 1973 Mach 1 grill on my 73 sports roof and it looks great. I had to move the center brace down a notch.

Latest posts

Back