Carb suggestion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a Edelbrock performer intake and I'm not sure what carb (cfm) I should get. I have a 2v 351c that is pretty much stock excluding the headers. The only reason I want to get a 4 barrel carb is because I've had nothing but trouble with the stock one and I'm partial to manual chokes. I might add that I'm thinking of getting a mild cam later on down the road. Should I plan ahead or get one that suits my needs right now?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edelbrock 1405 Performer 600 CFM is my first choice when it comes to pretty much stock applications...It will bolt up too your matching intake like a champ too....Its a manual choke....I owned a few of them and never had any bad luck with them...carb is good from 150hp and can be jetted too run up in the 350 too 400 hp range if needed....if you decided on more power down the road...Plus they are not hard to resale...I got my new holley 750 by trading my old edelbrock for it...Some one allways needing a 600cfm carb..lol

Edelbrock 1405 Performer 600 CFM is my first choice when it comes to pretty much stock applications...It will bolt up too your matching intake like a champ too....Its a manual choke....I owned a few of them and never had any bad luck with them...carb is good from 150hp and can be jetted too run up in the 350 too 400 hp range if needed....if you decided on more power down the road...Plus they are not hard to resale...I got my new holley 750 by trading my old edelbrock for it...Some one allways needing a 600cfm carb..lol
+1 On what hyena said. I have run alot of 600 edelbrocks on my stuff. from 302 to 351 windsors and my old cleveland. Easy to install and usually ready to go right out of the box. Bolt it on and fire it up. I recently went with a 750 holley dp for my cleveland because we were planning on building it up a little more than the edelbrock 600 could go. Now with the 408 stroker being built i may have to go bigger then the 750 holley. One good thing is carbs are very easy to sell!!

Thanks for the suggestion guys but I for got to mention that money is a little tight and I'm leaning more towards a used carb the might need rebuilding. How are the Edelbrocks for rebuilding, I've only worked with holleys.

The edelbrock are super easy and cheap to rebuild. They come with pretty good directions and if you have ever had a carb apart, you will be fine.
Cool, I'll look into them, but I should stick with a 600cfm for now.

I think my brother left a 600 edelbrock out on my parts washer in the garage. it ran when he pulled it off but he went with a 750 holley. could used cleaned up and probably rebuild wouldnt hurt. If you interested i could ask him if he would sell it?? [/b]

Yeah that would be great otherwise I found a holley 1850-2 locally on craigslist. Which I am quite familiar with have just rebuilt one.

Thanks.

Personally i like the holleys better, but i have owned a bunch of edelbrock. usually just because of the price! I will call my brother and ask him what he wants for it and let you know.

Hello TheJ,

I know you are on a budget, but I went through and bought used Holley's. I would rebuild, rebuild and rebuild. After years of dealing with them, plus researching, I finally had enough of the used ones. I bought a brand spanking new one and Have had no problems. What I found out was that after years of hot and cold, the main body would crack inside. No way to fix that. Just my two cents worth. Good Luck.

mustang7173

I am also partial to Holley and Deamon (Barry Grant). But for your engine, I would stay in the 600-650 range.

Hello TheJ,

I know you are on a budget, but I went through and bought used Holley's. I would rebuild, rebuild and rebuild. After years of dealing with them, plus researching, I finally had enough of the used ones. I bought a brand spanking new one and Have had no problems. What I found out was that after years of hot and cold, the main body would crack inside. No way to fix that. Just my two cents worth. Good Luck.

mustang7173
Thanks for your input. I've had good luck with used holleys, all two of them. I figure its worth a try to get a carb for 40 bucks then rebuild it and have less than half of what a new one cost. But it is good to keep in mind that it is used so I'll give a new one some thought.

Personally i like the holleys better, but i have owned a bunch of edelbrock. usually just because of the price! I will call my brother and ask him what he wants for it and let you know.
Thanks much appreciated.

Jayson, I called my brother and he said he left the carb at my garage so i could rebuild it for his truck. Nice of him to let me know that LOL!!! Sorry about that. I will keep my eye open for ya.

Is your car an Auto? You will need a kick down for the trans. I know there old now but consider a Carter AFB 9636 it's a 625cfm and it would be an electric choke too. I do Holley but the Carter/ EDE is way easyer to build and work on.There is a kit for the ede carb for a kick down but it mounts on the outside of the throttle and not the inside like the Carter.I think the 9606# is a man choke Carter.

Is your car an Auto? You will need a kick down for the trans. I know there old now but consider a Carter AFB 9636 it's a 625cfm and it would be an electric choke too. I do Holley but the Carter/ EDE is way easyer to build and work on.There is a kit for the ede carb for a kick down but it mounts on the outside of the throttle and not the inside like the Carter.I think the 9606# is a man choke Carter.
I'll keep an eye out for them but I'm looking for a manual choke.

Well, I bought a holley 1850-2 locally for 40 bucks. The problem is and I didn't notice that the pump discharge nozzle (squirter) was missing. So, what size and style do I get?

Thanks for looking.

Well, I bought a holley 1850-2 locally for 40 bucks. The problem is and I didn't notice that the pump discharge nozzle (squirter) was missing. So, what size and style do I get?

Thanks for looking.
It came with .025 http://www.holley.com/121-125.asp You will also need the retaining screw and the pointed tip pin that goes in before the discharge nozzle goes on. Chuck

Back