Carpet recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - in some sites I see three quality levels of ACC Mach1 carpet. Original, Cut Pile and Essex (each about $100 more). Most sites give very little in terms of description but CJPony at least calls out the difference. Even on ACC site I don't see a reference to Raylon Loop or a call out on the different quality levels. What am I missing?

I cannot tell a lie, this carpet thing is just one example (of many) that infuriates me with so many giant online sellers who have decided to nudge themselves into this industry... They're not interested in best-quality, and/or knowledgeable of it. Nope, they're just interested in "selling you stuff", commonly using the lure of the attractive low price, and to hell with the rest... Just give us your money please. It's a pox on the classic car hobby.

OK, rant off, information time on. ;)

1. I cannot imagine anyone buying a cut-pile or Essex carpet for a genuine Mach 1... Unless you're doing a resto-mod, and you prefer cut pile carpet.

2. It indeed is a bit tough, even on the ACC website, to find a reference to the actual name "Raylon". But it's hidden in there, on their site, and I've screen-shot and highlighted the critical differences between Nylon and Raylon below...

3. It's right there in black & white, Nylon loop is 12 oz of yarn per square yard, Raylon loop is 20 oz of yarn per square yard. But it goes even beyond what they state there.. The Raylon loop replicates the twisted loops tufted in random patterns like original carpet. The Nylon loop is not twisted, and tufted in rows. Raylon is also more durable, 16.5 denier thread versus 14 denier for Nylon.

4. A Nylon loop ACC carpet is 40% cheaper than a Raylon loop ACC carpet. This is why you find such amazingly cheap carpet deals at Rockauto, OC Auto Carpets, Automotive Interiors, Amazon, CJ's, etc... They're only feeding you the bottom-barrel Nylon for loop carpeting, but they're not telling you what it is, or that there's a far-superior and more-like-original choice. Why bother? They've already got you on price, and unless you've already got a Raylon carpet in another car, you'll never know the difference.

This comparison and dynamic exists across the spectrum of restoration parts, not just carpeting. There are 1,000+ other examples in classic Mustang parts. So buying parts from a company that appears cheap, but otherwise isn't really in the business of caring, all-too-often you're going to get what you paid for. And since I know I'm reeking of the appearance of pimping NPD with this post, I'll put it out there that I believe Kentucky and Virginia also have a history of caring. Sourcing is important.

We still carry the Nylon sets for customers who have drivers, or who are really budget-driven. But we offer you the CHOICE, we don't trick you into thinking there's only one type of loop carpet at ACC.

As usual, I apologize for the length!! I dive into rabbit holes, and run and run and run... LOL... :)

Rick
NPD

P.S. I forgot, if an online seller is claiming to "upgrade" you to "80/20" carpet, run away... They are lying to you. 80/20 has been extinct for over 20 years, ACC doesn't have it, it no longer exists. This advice is more important for the 1965-1967 Mustang owners.

Attachments

• ACCNylon-1.JPG
    ACCNylon-1.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ACCRaylon-1.JPG
    ACCRaylon-1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Raylon vs nylon carpet (002).jpg
    Raylon vs nylon carpet (002).jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great info for me since I'm about to pull the plastic out and get 2 carpet sets. A 73 Mach and a 72 Sprint fastback, both in blue. The side-by-side photo comparison gives us an easy choice if correctness is what you want.
Now that we reeled you into this "carpet thread", what is your opinion about using mass backing vs. without?

Great info for me since I'm about to pull the plastic out and get 2 carpet sets. A 73 Mach and a 72 Sprint fastback, both in blue. The side-by-side photo comparison gives us an easy choice if correctness is what you want.
Now that we reeled you into this "carpet thread", what is your opinion about using mass backing vs. without?

I think that regardless of what I would say, the jury has been in on that debate for a long time. Most customers greatly prefer the mass-backing. There's really no "negative" to it other than the extra cost. But it indeed makes the carpet lay better, less fighting with wrinkles and baggy spots, more heat and sound deterrence, etc...

Regarding which color blue to choose, as usual, there is no exact match available, just "close to it" matches. I have a 1973 Cougar XR7 convertible with 500 original miles, original blue carpet. I took my ACC Raylon sample ring inside of it, and there are only two blues that would be candidates, one darker, one lighter. The darker sample is ACC Raylon # 07, and the lighter sample is ACC Raylon # 16. See photos below. I took them with flash-on and flash-off, and again, it's frustrating that what the camera shows is only a "facsimile" of how things look in real life. I'd probably do the #16 blue if it were my car.

We have never stocked the #07 for 71-73 carpet, so if you prefer that one, it'd have to be special order. Email me at [email protected] if that's your choice. The #16 can be ordered online. To confirm the ACC color code, just be sure to click-thru to the main product page, and the last 2 digits of the "Manufacturer Reference #" given there is the color code.

If you find a place you can get Raylon loop elsewhere, just make sure you're referencing those 2-digit ACC codes.

image000001.jpgimage000002.jpgimage000003.jpgimage000004.jpg

I agree with the lighter blue color too, so is this below what I'd want for my Mach? I don't see ACC Raylon # 16 like you stated. The "mass backed" has this with 06 as last 2. ...

NPD Part Number : CA-13-63M-253B
Manufacturer Reference #'s: 14819 06MASS
1713386630757.png

I agree with the lighter blue color too, so is this below what I'd want for my Mach? I don't see ACC Raylon # 16 like you stated. The "mass backed" has this with 06 as last 2. ...

NPD Part Number : CA-13-63M-253B
Manufacturer Reference #'s: 14819 06MASS
View attachment 87930

No, you don't want that blue, it's way too light/bright.

This whole thread has stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest, in that I've discovered that we don't have the #16 and #7 blues available in ALL potential years/variations (which is a lot..).

So unfortunately, you're NOT going to be able to order online. But I'll be happy to get your information delegated to purchasing and get you handled. And considering that your thread was the catalyst to get all this fixed/straightened, I'll give you a decent deal on both carpets, or just the Mach carpet, whatever you're ready to buy right now. Just send me an email please, so that I can gather all the pertinent information, and we'll get it all going. The carpet(s) will dropship directly from ACC to you.

[email protected]

Rick
NPD

Hemi killer I used the mass backed also and not real pleased with it. As you know it’s preformed and with the mass backing if it isn’t formed properly like mine it’s hard to get it to sit good. Mine was off on the back section at the rockers and I couldn’t get it as nice as I would have liked but it’s fine for now.
I had the same problem withnthe mass backed. I would not recommend it either.

+1 for rock auto. This is the exact kit I ordered back in january. The 4 pieces for the fold down require cutting to fit but zero complaints.

ACC 26464260

Back