Center armrest console install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Guys, this is whooping my butt, I had the short console around my FMX auto shifter and recently picked up a long center console from a member here. When going to install, it will not line up or fit properly under my center stack bezel. If I leave it about an inch from the rear of the shifter bezel, it will fit in place with me just holding my old bezel there but there is a lot of carpet exposed from the shifter bezel to the console. I have tried pushing it forward to center on the shifter bezel but then the center stack bezel will not go on. Below is a pic with the console in place and me holding the center stack bezel. Is it a chance that I have to shave anything on the center stack bezel or loosen the dash bolts to kind of raise it up some? I know there are others with an automatic trans with a long center console, pics would be great. All input and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Thanks for the comment Mike, not sure how the dashboard could be installed incorrectly, the center bezel is not screwed in and connected right now, just holding a spare bezel in place in the pic. The complete dash and center stack/bezel has been in place for a couple of years now and just removed the center stack to install the center arm rest console. I will snap some pics tomorrow night and post. More to follow.

Tom

What happened to the sheetmetal at the radio opening? Looks like it's been butchered.

1710250378418.png

I would clean that edge up and mount the radio plate with all four screws to see how that changes your clearance. Only other thing I can think of that would affect that area would be the carpet underlayment being too thick.

Tom....do you have a C4 tranny?.....or C6? I've been trying to find something on the net that give me a dimension of the shift link location between the two. It appears that you may have a C4 and that the full length consoles were meant for the C6/FMX transmissions only?? Anyone??

What happened to the sheetmetal at the radio opening? Looks like it's been butchered.

View attachment 86545

I would clean that edge up and mount the radio plate with all four screws to see how that changes your clearance. Only other thing I can think of that would affect that area would be the carpet underlayment being too thick.
HK, that was done when the double dinn radio was installed. That modified plate, radio, heater controls, and center stack bezel fits perfectly with them installed and the small center console around the shifter. If I can’t get this all fitting with the new console, I have a spare unmolested dash and radio bezel to try out. It only takes a couple hours to swap dashes out. Not sure why this long console is not fitting but suspect that it has something to do with all the carpet padding built into the new carpet. More to follow soon.

Thanks
Tom

Tom....do you have a C4 tranny?.....or C6? I've been trying to find something on the net that give me a dimension of the shift link location between the two. It appears that you may have a C4 and that the full length consoles were meant for the C6/FMX transmissions only?? Anyone??
That console came out of a FMX car 🤷🏽‍♂️

The full length console was available with any transmission, auto or stick. The automatic shifter mechanism itself was identical between the three models, the FMX had the NSS in the bucket, the C4 and C6 were trans mounted.

Snip from the MPC with the lengths of the automatic shift rods

1710273114152.png

Bobby, I have the FMX transmission.

Tom

HK, that was done when the double dinn radio was installed. That modified plate, radio, heater controls, and center stack bezel fits perfectly with them installed and the small center console around the shifter. If I can’t get this all fitting with the new console, I have a spare unmolested dash and radio bezel to try out. It only takes a couple hours to swap dashes out. Not sure why this long console is not fitting but suspect that it has something to do with all the carpet padding built into the new carpet. More to follow soon.

Thanks
Tom
I think possibly the main dash assembly might be rotated a bit. If you can get the bottom portion to rotated forward (toward the firewall a few inches) that should put you in the right place... provided the center stack bezel is fitted properly up against the sheet metal dash assembly.

Here's what you're shooting for (not mine):
Interior_red.jpg

Even mine fits properly, and I have cut-pile carpet with jute backing and an AOD shifter (was an FMX car as well) so carpet padding is not the issue.
interior3.jpg

The shifter only goes into the hole one way, and the console fits the shifter one way. The center stack trim piece only fits the dash one way as well, so if it's butted up against the dash metal, then the metal assembly isn't installed correctly.

Mine wasn't even bolted in when I got it:
Interior_starting_point1.JPG

Thanks Eric, without the long console in place the center stack and bezel fit properly and not "flexed" against the metal dashboard. The bezel and everything fits with the double din radio as well, I will take a look at the dash itself this weekend and see if it is out of place or misaligned. if I can see that the dash is warped, I will grab my spare out of storage and begin the swap out. I kind of like the double din and back up camera but there are other options out there that I can use if necessary.

Thanks everyone for your advice and guidance.

Tom

The rear view mirror display options are lot better these days than the one I found for mine back in 2014. It was a Pyle unit that clipped onto the existing mirror, and was clunky to use and looked out of place. I'm looking at a newer unit that replaces the RVM altogether and even have a built-in forward facing Go-Pro like camera.
interior2.jpg

The camera itself is in the rear license plate frame, which the LP Light would surely have blinded at night, so I got some LED LP mounting bulbs from Twisted Throttle.com to light up the plate without interfering with the camera. I think I'm going to get an electric trunk popper and put the camera in the trunk lid keyhole instead.

It's hard to see, but the bumpy thing on the top middle of the LP is the camera housing. Those black studs are the LED fasteners.
Frankcarshow_2017-6.jpg

Guys, this is whooping my butt, I had the short console around my FMX auto shifter and recently picked up a long center console from a member here. When going to install, it will not line up or fit properly under my center stack bezel. If I leave it about an inch from the rear of the shifter bezel, it will fit in place with me just holding my old bezel there but there is a lot of carpet exposed from the shifter bezel to the console. I have tried pushing it forward to center on the shifter bezel but then the center stack bezel will not go on. Below is a pic with the console in place and me holding the center stack bezel. Is it a chance that I have to shave anything on the center stack bezel or loosen the dash bolts to kind of raise it up some? I know there are others with an automatic trans with a long center console, pics would be great. All input and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Tom
I don’t think you have the correct console or maybe the correct shifter plate 🤷🏻‍♂️ need a pic of the whole console removed. It seems the shifter hole is to far forward and my clock hole doesn’t have those curved cut outs on the side of the clock opening. IMG_0730.jpegIMG_0731.jpeg

Tom
After looking at this some more it kind of looks like someone mounted the shifter to far forward. Probably didn’t have the correct shifter rod and moved it all forward to make it work. By the red marks on the bezel it obviously is cobbled together.

I also added the long console. Mine is a C-4. Console went in with no fitment problem. I did "spread" the plastic at the front end to allow the console to slip into the stack. I also started fitment with carpet out. I also used the original short console to reference the spacing of the shifter assembly so the old and new matched at the shifter. Then everything else pretty much fell in place.

After looking at this some more it kind of looks like someone mounted the shifter to far forward. Probably didn’t have the correct shifter rod and moved it all forward to make it work. By the red marks on the bezel it obviously is cobbled together.
70cobrascj, the shifter (stock) is mounted in the stock location, I added the red markings to let me know when it was actually in the right position for that gear so that I can get it adjusted correctly. I have used the manual directions many times for adjustment and every time that I am under the car doing the adjustment and I tell my helper to not let the shifter move, after I am done, he says "sorry it moved a little". I really need a new helper. It is a mystery but I will get it figured out. More to follow. Thanks.

Tom

I also added the long console. Mine is a C-4. Console went in with no fitment problem. I did "spread" the plastic at the front end to allow the console to slip into the stack. I also started fitment with carpet out. I also used the original short console to reference the spacing of the shifter assembly so the old and new matched at the shifter. Then everything else pretty much fell in place.
Thanks Buckwheat, that gives me an idea that I will have to check tonight. The short console fit perfectly, I am going to measure underneath the short console and then under the long console to see if there is a difference. It may be as simple as spreading the sides out a little more to get it flatter. I do notice that without leaning on the long console, it sits up pretty high in the front section over the shifter bezel. Thanks for the idea and assistance.

Tom

I don’t think you have the correct console or maybe the correct shifter plate 🤷🏻‍♂️ need a pic of the whole console removed. It seems the shifter hole is to far forward and my clock hole doesn’t have those curved cut outs on the side of the clock opening. View attachment 86564View attachment 86565
I will snap some more pics this week and post them, tonight I am going to dig through my storage unit for my spare dash. More to follow. Thanks.

Tom

FWIW, We installed two center consoles, from ACP, in our 73 Mustang Convertible, and our 73 Mach 1. In some of the earlier comments in this thread it has been said there is no difference between the transmission types for the center console fitment. In having worked on a lot of 71-73 (and earlier, and later) Mustangs I agree that there ought not be any issues provided the surrounding areas are in their original configuration and locations. I am not certain if your console came from ACP (which allegedly uses Ford tooling to create their consoles). If your console is, by chance, an ACP unit then I am thinking the materials (metal, plastic, etc., may not in be in their original location(s). If you can resolve the matter by doing some trimming, without making it look like a hack job, I would (also) suggest that as a good direction to take.

I wish I had done a video of me installing our center consoles, but I did those a few years before I began to produce YouTube How-To diagnosis, repair, modify/enhance videos in my Channel (Gilbert Hale).

Back