Center Gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed how Custom Auto Sound says their units are easier to install because there's no assembly required.  That just means that you don't have to hang the shaft assemblies on the bezels and plug them into the head unit - but you still need to adjust the width to match the bezel openings since the units are 'universal fit' for all of the old cars.

Still, I've heard everybody is happy with whichever units they buy (either the USA-XXX models or the Retrosound units), which is good no matter which unit you choose.
I like the Retrosound better, I think it actually sounds better. It just seems like a better quality unit than the Custom Autosound one. And the volume and tuning shafts are movable. You can pretty much put them where you need to. They have a wire that they are connected with to the unit so you can move them to an unusual spot if need be.

On the subject of radios, Mine is a totally rebuilt 73 AM/FM Mustang radio. I guess between buying it (got ripped off!!) and having it professionally rebuilt, I have $500 in it.

BUT I hardly listen to it, prefer the sound of my exhaust!!!

I ain't gonna lie - since I don't have my subs installed yet, I don't listen to the radio all that much.  The volume is low, windows are down, and it's only driven on nice days), which means I'm listening to my exhaust a lot more than anything else as well.

When (if) I ever finally get the subs installed, I'll make sure the stereo is adjusted properly and might actually enjoy it a little more.  Until then, and considering that I have a full-on system in my daily driver Ram truck (along with A/C and windows that roll-up and down), that 'basic' Retrosound stereo in the Mustang is actually quite unimpressive... especially, when competing with the windows always being down and the sound of the exhaust.   :whistling:

Back