Challenge!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
I have scoured the internet looking for a diecast model of a 1971 convertible mustang. I have failed, does anyone know where I might find one? It is like chasing a unicorn. :dodgy:

AFAIK there is no 1/18 scale vert. I got one that somebody built from a fastback as a one off. Funny that it was yellow just like mine. :)

I do have a smaller one though made by Johnny Lightning.

There is a red 73 convertible from Johnny Lightning came out about 8 or 9 years ago. I have one and my nephews want to take it out of the package and play with it when they visit. I did not know they made one for a 71 or 72. It is red.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been searching for a long time. Mach I's, yes. Convertibles, no.

I have a Sun Star red 71 Mach 1 with ram air, spoilers, etc. Kind of a nice die-case, but I would love a convertible version.

I have been looking since 2003, with no luck, I made a 1:24 scale with some magic it came out great.

I thouk I have close to 20 johnny lighting 71-73 mustangs, many convertibles, and 72 sprints, mint in the packages.

Yeah, I have seen the Johnny Lightning grabber green convertibles, but I think that they are a little too small to re-paint and make them look like my car, which is the ultimate goal. Isn't it really a 73 as well? It does have a painted front bumper, mine is chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen guys in at the Rhode Island "Hot Wheels club" dissasemble the 1:64 scale cars and complealy customize them, then reassemble them.

they drill out the 2 press point at the bottom, the when they re assemble it, they use 2 3/32 rivit.

Check swap meets I see tons there. Of th3 1/64

I only have one Green open package, and one white sealed package, all of the others are the 72 Sprint conv.
any for sale?
my wife would love me to sell some, I seam to be a Diecast Horder!!!..

I might want to sell a sprint or two, they were only made in 2004 and they are rare " atleast thats what I was told by a collector"

I ended up buying a grabber green convertible, previous owner was some dude named Johnny Lightning. Now I have to tear it down and repaint to match mine. I am still looking for a larger scale but this is all I could find for now.

2611437379944040_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back