Choke or no choke?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
When it comes to picking a carb, I've seen that most of them have chokes (manual or electric) and some don't have one at all. But the big carbs don't have one at all. Of course for big inch 460 based strokers. Once the car is started and warmed up, does the choke serve any function?

The choke assembly makes it easier to start and warm up the engine in cooler / colder temps. Once the engine is warm, the choke should allow the choke plate to fully open and it's job is done.

In our climate, I live in Mountain View, you probably don't need a choke.

This has been a point of discussion with my mechanic and once the car

is warmed up the choke serves no function other than to get in the way

if improperly adjusted. I thought about installing a mechanical choke

which would give you the option of using it or not.

mike

No choke carbs can lead to hard starting when a car has sat or the weather isn't just so. 90+% of engine wear occurs on starting (the rest occurs when you lend me your keys) so I prefer a choke so as not to put any unnecessary wear on my engine. Racers mill off the air horn and remove the choke to increase and smooth out airflow for higher rpm usage. On the street, it is probably better to slight upsize the carb, tune it and run a manual choke or an electric.

Here in Sunnyvale California, it does get cold but certainly not freezing. If it ever snowed, they would close down the schools and call the news crew.

So, I suppose the guys here with 520-545 inch motors just deal with cold starts (or run fuel injection)?

My '73 Mach-1 doesn't have a choke (that works) now. It is sort of a pain to start when it's cold. but I just have to hold the RPM's just above 1500 for a bit and it's fine. I just didn't know if it would run any better with a working choke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya...Out here in winter time you need a choke..Summer time not as much..Specialy if you drive it alot..But still good thing to have on a part time driver or something that is not super modified...I like the manual choke..Nothing to go wrong with it...Electric are decent thou but cost a bit more.

I have never run a choke on my car. I live in pa but never drive in the winter. All the carbs that had a choke I removed. My new quick fuel 850 doesn't have a choke. All I ever do is pump it twice and hit the key. Always fires up. Just have to feather the throttle a bit til it warms up a touch then it idles perfect. I don't even run the heater hoses in my car lol! I have the plugged off. I guess it's all personal preference or if you drive in cold weather. I prefer not to have them and very seldom ever drive when it's below 50 or so.

Cool. Thanks..

My 460 has an edelbrock 780 w/ manual choke .I use it first cold start up then it's all set.In Maine,we only have about 3 months of hot weather.I don't mind manual chokes at all,they're either on or off.

Electric choke - Edelbrock carb and intake on a 351C. DC area does get cold and the choke certainly helps then. Even in the summer, cold starts are very good and smooth out quickly. Living here my whole life, I've never had any vehicle without a choke.

I have a manual choke on the flathead in my truck and it must be used every time or no start!

Here in Sunnyvale California, it does get cold but certainly not freezing. If it ever snowed, they would close down the schools and call the news crew.

So, I suppose the guys here with 520-545 inch motors just deal with cold starts (or run fuel injection)?

My '73 Mach-1 doesn't have a choke (that works) now. It is sort of a pain to start when it's cold. but I just have to hold the RPM's just above 1500 for a bit and it's fine. I just didn't know if it would run any better with a working choke.
It has snowed here and a hail storm, can you believe it?

Even had a tornado pass through one day near Mary ave.

I am wondering if my bonnet air cleaner has an adverse

effect on the choke's function as I have had choke issues.

The carb/choke was designed for your standard air cleaner

with a heated snorkel. I dunno...

mike

I remember that. I was at Moffett Field. That tornado tore off a small portion of a church roof if I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back