CL 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Good looking car.

Ad states 49k miles. Rear panel not finished - should have black-out paint and camera case material between tail lights. Twist in cap since for 72 and 73, pop down cap is not original. It also has incorrect 73 (bright trim) tail lights installed.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4128404549.html

Ray

The gas cap may be original. I bought an all original 72 a few years ago and ice flip open cap

I spoke to the owner's son (who lives in N.C. and is selling this mach 1; car is in NY) about 8 months ago by phone. His father was a collector. Now is retired. Car is an H Code, I believe, but upgraded to 4-v. I believe mileage to be correct.

Looks like a great car for someone to finish. Nicely optioned.

But, perhaps priced too high? What do you guys think?

The gas cap may be original. I bought an all original 72 a few years ago and ice flip open cap
The previous owner must have changed it out. It was available on 1971 Mach 1's only. From what I understand, Ford had safety issues concerning that cap. It was replaced with the twist on type running horse cap for all models.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-mach-1-flip-open-gas-cap-question

Remember during that time Ford was going through claims of exploding gas tanks, especially with the Pinto's and Bobcats. Ford pickup behind the seat tanks and then the Mustang pop down caps were also identified as fuel safety problems.

Ray

The black front bumper and no tail panel trim ruins it for me

1971 was the correct year only for the pop-open gas cap. Boss1Ray is correct in that the Ralph Nader's of the world raised safety concerns about the cap in rear end collisions. Ford went to the twist on center pony design for 72 & 73. I have an OE pop-open that I had on my car that does not have the provisions for clearing the twist on cap that the reproductions do. It looked nice in my 80's restoration, but not correct for the current concourse resto. I currently have an OE 70 with the attaching cable that the 72-73 did not have. Debating about selling both of them and locating an OE #1 condition twist on. Don't see very good ones for sale very often.

I also wonder why the tail panel and tail lights are not finished out correctly for the year? Makes one wonder if it has sustained rear damage at some point. Front bumper may just be a repair from cracking and the owner liked black, but that merits investigation as well. Just my $.02 worth

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

It just does not look right unless it has the black out on the lower section of the body. Plus as stated earlier, the black bumper scheme is not too pretty either. The tail light pods could be reproductions.

Not worth the $20,000 though.

mustang7173

Owner's son told me by phone that the car is an H Code; thus no cut outs on the rear valence; probably no staggered shocks as well since not a Q Code. Owner also has a vintage Desoto that, although runs and drives, needs total restoration for show. I was tempted to buy; low price, good condition; but I have no experience with De Sotos. Who does?

The low mileage and rust-free condition of the 72 Mach 1 are the plusses and options that create interest. But it lacks the key options to ask for $20k--in my view. With a Q Code, I'd be knocking on his door with an offer.

Owner's son told me by phone that the car is an H Code; thus no cut outs on the rear valence; probably no staggered shocks as well since not a Q Code. Owner also has a vintage Desoto that, although runs and drives, needs total restoration for show. I was tempted to buy; low price, good condition; but I have no experience with De Sotos. Who does?

The low mileage and rust-free condition of the 72 Mach 1 are the plusses and options that create interest. But it lacks the key options to ask for $20k--in my view. With a Q Code, I'd be knocking on his door with an offer.
Correct it would not have staggard shocks

It was also born with an automatic or a 3 speed manual trans

How bout this one then......

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4084925260.html

BDK

Latest posts

Back