Cleaning product for black portion of hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1,408 Stroker dyno tuned to 597 HP. She's really fun to drive.
My hood has that black painted area on it which is a semi-gloss finish and I have a heck of a time getting the water spots off of that area. My car is not a trailer queen, I drive her around town and to local car shows. Now that I have more than a year on the paint job I'm finding keeping that one area nice and free of spots very difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Okay I know this may sound weird but years ago someone told me to use baby oil on the black portion of my '69 Mach's hood...and although it didn't last las long as the wax on the rest of the car (had to reapply often - daily driver) it did hold up very well! I would wipe it on with a rag then wipe off any excess with another clean rag. It did look great. Not sure if the finish is the same on the 7173 Machs but that's my two cents worth.

We have very  hard water thus problems with water spots. The only thing that I've been able to do is dry the car immediately with shammies to soak up all of the water beads before they have a chance to dry. I usually have to go around the car at least twice, using an dry shammy on the second pass.

We have a water softener installed for all inside the house water, but it bypasses the outside bib. I'm looking into buying something like this:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/cr-spotless-de-ionized-water-system-di-120/124557.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_815556&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300000347007&adid=22222222627000095327&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=201257045727&wl4=pla-315310933162&wl5=9052590&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12=815556&wl13=&wl15=47214974047&wl17=1o1&veh=sem

I painted my blackouts with SEM HotRod Black. Quite by accident when I was cleaning the body paint with Mothers Instant Detailer, I got some on the hood blackout semi gloss. To my surprise after frantically wiping it off, I realized it made no difference to the sheen. I use it all the time now to clean off those pesky water spots and tree sap, stripes as well. I do occasionally give the blackout areas a good wash with hot water and Dawn Original dish soap, then a good rinse and dry with the chamois. Downside is the water needs to be drained out of the hood and dried as well. For that part (drying), I found a hard drive down my favorite twisty road does the trick!

EDIT: I forgot one more "trick" I use and that is the good 'ol Mothers Clay Bar. Works wonders on all the car finishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here its hard water or water softener spots. Its whatever you like the most. Adding a little Murphy oil soap to your car washing water does help some.

Back