clips issue on door panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys, has any of you experience the same problem installing door panels? I have a set of new door panels that came w/the car. I took them off while the car sat in the body shop. Now, I'm having trouble matching the clips w/the wholes. The clips are off by an inch & if I force it in it bends or breaks. Do they sell clips that extend out further? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

On my original door panels some of the clips were missing or the mounting area would not hold the clip, so I used some Velcro in a few places. Should make it easier to take off next time too.

Great idea on the velcro Mike. Thank you.
If I recall correctly I positioned the Velcro back off the ridge where the clips are in the recessed area so the panel would not stick out further from the door because of the thickness of the Velcro. Sorry, this is one time I did not take pics of my install. I haven't needed to pull the panel off again yet so not sure how that part works.

I had to elongate the holes, some a lot to make aftermarket panels fit. It was a pain of removing, and reinstalling the panel several times. And I bent a bunch of clips luckilly I had spares.

That velcro idea sounds good, they sell some pretty heavy duty velcro these days

it does take a while to fit the holes on the repo panels but if done right the first time it is not an issue later on.

I fitted my panels 5 years ago and since then I've had to take them on and off about 5 times, but had no issues re-installing them.

I had to elongate some holes but i did it all during the original fitting where i had to cutout the Door pull cup.

the best way is to position the door panel and work down from the top figuring out the fitment of each clip as you work down to the bottom, this way you can adjust it left and right really well.

I think it took me about 4 hours to cut the panel face just right and position the grab handles, and make sure the Fascia stuff fit, then an additional 5 hours of adjusting and fitting over the course of a free weekend.

it was frustrating at the time but well worth it later on, so when i had to service the window and lock it made it easy to put it back on, and the clips snap right in place.

like everything reproduction it needs work. (Dremel with a router bit works wonders on this)

Latest posts

Back