Clutch Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 BOSS 351
1969 BOSS 302
2007 Shelby GT/SC
I had the 71 out this weekend and encountered a clutch issue. I pulled out in 1st gear, the car shuttered as I released the clutch, then stalled out. When I restarted, I had very little clutch left ...... only about 1/2" at the bottom of the travel near the floor. I drove it home with no slippage at all while the car was in any gear and no problems getting it into or out of any of the gears. Only very little clutch travel before it engaged. Prior to this, I experienced no slippage or difficulty getting it into or out of gear either. Does this sound like a clutch issue? or potentially just clutch linkage?

Sounds like too much "Air gap" between disc and flywheel face. Get under the car (properly supported) while someone pushes the clutch pedal down looking for excessive free play. Probably need to back out the jamb nuts on the adjusting rod. Look at the entire linkage while preforming the inspection. May have been misadjusted initially. Only need ABOUT 1/16" to 1/8" free play at the adjuster. Different people have different taste on pedal travel.

I had the 71 out this weekend and encountered a clutch issue. I pulled out in 1st gear, the car shuttered as I released the clutch, then stalled out. When I restarted, I had very little clutch left ...... only about 1/2" at the bottom of the travel near the floor. I drove it home with no slippage at all while the car was in any gear and no problems getting it into or out of any of the gears. Only very little clutch travel before it engaged. Prior to this, I experienced no slippage or difficulty getting it into or out of gear either. Does this sound like a clutch issue? or potentially just clutch linkage?
First check linkage for any issues, if none found something broke internally

Sounds like too much "Air gap" between disc and flywheel face. Get under the car (properly supported) while someone pushes the clutch pedal down looking for excessive free play. Probably need to back out the jamb nuts on the adjusting rod. Look at the entire linkage while preforming the inspection. May have been misadjusted initially. Only need ABOUT 1/16" to 1/8" free play at the adjuster. Different people have different taste on pedal travel.
Perfect. Thank you!

Back