Cobra Disc Brake conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
detritusmaximus,

I have a picture of the front view of the new Cobra Disc brake and rotor. This might not be what you are looking for. What I might need to do is to remove the spacer.

6oo70k.jpg

Let me know!

mustang7173 :D

Any insight as to why you didn't pick up a kit from MustangWheelSpacers.Com? It seems like you accomplished basically exactly what their kit does in just another fashion. Just curious as to why you didn't order straight from them.

detritusmaximus,

I have a picture of the front view of the new Cobra Disc brake and rotor. This might not be what you are looking for. What I might need to do is to remove the spacer.

6oo70k.jpg

Let me know!

Yeah, a measurement from the hub face without spacer to see how much further out the caliper is.

Hello MechEng,

When I wanted to have spacers that did not bolt to the hub, and then to the wheel, I started my research for the spacers. I found the Vintage Venom and the Mustang Wheel Spacers websites. Ok, then, looking good here. So I emailed Mustang Wheel Spacers four times with no responses! I called several times, no answers! When I did finally reach someone, I had requested information about their products and they were just not with it for customer service. So, I said thank you and hung up.

Next, I went to Vintage Venom found the Wheel Conversion Kit—SN95 Spacers that had the Ford ARP rear wheel studs. I ordered two sets. When I go the order, Yippee! Got the 1971 Mustang Brake drum Hub out, took the new spacers and uh oh. Crap, they do not fit. The bearing receiver of the 1971 mustang Hub is slightly larger than the SN-95 Spacer Hub hole. Crap, ordered the wrong part. I went back to the Vintage Venom website and found that they offered a Vintage Kit: Enables the use of 1994-2004 Mustang wheels (17x8x30mm offset) on your vintage Mustang. Ok, Yes, I emailed the vendor! Sorry, we do not have the kit right now and do not see any kits in future. Really, how come? No real good answer. So, I went back to my Eibachs and pressed out the studs, and they fit perfectly on the 1971 Hubs and ARP wheel studs.

The SN-95 Wheel Spacers will NOT fit the 1968-1972 Front Brake drum Hubs due to the larger wheel bearing receivers on the 1968-1972 front brake hub.

Any insight as to why you didn't pick up a kit from MustangWheelSpacers.Com? It seems like you accomplished basically exactly what their kit does in just another fashion. Just curious as to why you didn't order straight from them.

Hello MechEng,

When I wanted to have spacers that did not bolt to the hub, and then to the wheel, I started my research for the spacers. I found the Vintage Venom and the Mustang Wheel Spacers websites. Ok, then, looking good here. So I emailed Mustang Wheel Spacers four times with no responses! I called several times, no answers! When I did finally reach someone, I had requested information about their products and they were just not with it for customer service. So, I said thank you and hung up.

Next, I went to Vintage Venom found the Wheel Conversion Kit—SN95 Spacers that had the Ford ARP rear wheel studs. I ordered two sets. When I go the order, Yippee! Got the 1971 Mustang Brake drum Hub out, took the new spacers and uh oh. Crap, they do not fit. The bearing receiver of the 1971 mustang Hub is slightly larger than the SN-95 Spacer Hub hole. Crap, ordered the wrong part. I went back to the Vintage Venom website and found that they offered a Vintage Kit: Enables the use of 1994-2004 Mustang wheels (17x8x30mm offset) on your vintage Mustang. Ok, Yes, I emailed the vendor! Sorry, we do not have the kit right now and do not see any kits in future. Really, how come? No real good answer. So, I went back to my Eibachs and pressed out the studs, and they fit perfectly on the 1971 Hubs and ARP wheel studs.

The SN-95 Wheel Spacers will NOT fit the 1968-1972 Front Brake drum Hubs due to the larger wheel bearing receivers on the 1968-1972 front brake hub.

Wow, thanks for such a concise response!

I've been looking at running a set of 2005 Mustang wheels and they have too much offset for me to use them without spacers. I didn't like the look of the bolt in ones either.

All,

Finally go the 1998- 2004 Mustang front disc brake hose brackets mounted. The upper control arm does not touch the drivers side bracket.

Driver side

zu2l2f.jpg

j7yedi.jpg

Passenger side

10r5ncl.jpg

mustang7173

All,

Forgot one picture with the Upper control all the way down.

Drivers side-

15s07z5.jpg

mustang7173

All,

Here is the setup without the 1 inch spacers.

2pt2zog.jpg

2cd9v7b.jpg

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Here are the installed Brake Lines from Original Lines to the modern S.S Brake lines. One thing I find very odd is the 1998 - 2004 Mustang Brake lines have different connectors.

7/16"" thread 3/16" tube size brake tube flare nut (fits Cobra hose) Included with Cobra 13-2 kit One required.

Other hose uses standard 3/8"" threads.

Source: Mustang Steve's

16apk3n.jpg

mustang7173

Back