Cobra Jet Dual Inlet Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, mine looks like that one.

-jbojo
Late 1960's big fords and even some trucks have air cleaners with the extra vacuum door in them. I have seen Boss 302 owners "graft" them into smaller mustang style air cleaners as the originals are nearly impossible to find. These air cleaners are huge and have what looks like a big oil filter sticking out the side.

x4rq6w.jpg

- Paul
Hello Paul; Have NEVER seen that LARGE of a diverter vacuum housing. What year/type Ford/Mustang is that picture of?!. I also noticed the accordion flex hose connected to a "Cold Air Intake" (?)...VERY NICE SETUP!!!....I very much appreciate everyone's input!!!...I find it interesting figuring out the nuances of our 71-73 Mach 1s....THANKS!!!...Mark
1969 or 70 Mark V or Ford LTD or Grand Marque

There are some really cool set ups on these huge land barges from the late 60's into the mid 70's. Ford must have wanted to use up all the available vacuum line so Chevy could not have any.

Some years had the exact same diverter valve as the mustangs. I pulled several and sold them easily at swap meets.

- Paul

Late 1960's big fords and even some trucks have air cleaners with the extra vacuum door in them. I have seen Boss 302 owners "graft" them into smaller mustang style air cleaners as the originals are nearly impossible to find. These air cleaners are huge and have what looks like a big oil filter sticking out the side.

x4rq6w.jpg

- Paul
Hello Paul; Have NEVER seen that LARGE of a diverter vacuum housing. What year/type Ford/Mustang is that picture of?!. I also noticed the accordion flex hose connected to a "Cold Air Intake" (?)...VERY NICE SETUP!!!....I very much appreciate everyone's input!!!...I find it interesting figuring out the nuances of our 71-73 Mach 1s....THANKS!!!...Mark
1969 or 70 Mark V or Ford LTD or Grand Marque

There are some really cool set ups on these huge land barges from the late 60's into the mid 70's. Ford must have wanted to use up all the available vacuum line so Chevy could not have any.

Some years had the exact same diverter valve as the mustangs. I pulled several and sold them easily at swap meets.

- Paul
Hello Paul; VERY MUCH Appreciate your reply & information. Because of your knowledge, I know will be LOOKING at the cars you mentioned, during my Auto Wreckers parts hunts, which prior to your post I would have disregarded..."Land Barges" with Preformance parts!!!!...just the accordion flex hose in your engine compartment picture is BIG $$$$....THANKS!!!...Mark

Would it not be a H.O. in 73.My shop manual shows an H.O. and a 351 4v.I may be wrong but I thought the 72 was also called an H.O.

Hey Don,

Are you saying that the "Q" code was actually referred to as the "CJ" in 72, but not in 73?

That's odd...I was thought the opposite was true. I have seen lots of literature from Ford calling the 73 Q-code a "CJ", but don't really remember ever seeing a Ford reference to a "CJ" in 72.

Oh well, learn something new every day about these cars that stopped production 40+ YEARS AGO! I love it.

Being the owner of a "Cobra Jet" I always had a snobbish attitude towards the Q-codes co-opting the name, since all "Cobra Jets" previous to that were big blocks...no small block "Cobra Jets".

Then one day, it finally hit me: The 351 Q-code (or any other small block) really never has been officially or otherwise referred to as a "Cobra Jet"...just simply a "CJ".

A "CJ" is not a "Cobra Jet", just as a "Cuda" is not a "Barracuda".

So, our big-block "Cobra Jet" names are safe!

(Whew!)
IMG_0134.JPG

My 1972 Mach Q code (cobra jet) had the chrome lid (decal was gone) and the rectangle "extra" air door that opened under full acceleration. Mine also had the competition suspension and C6 options, that was back in 1981 when nobody cared but me, so I am pretty sure it was original.

To my understanding, all a cj engine is, is 4bolt main caps, a slightly different crank, a bigger cam and 4v heads. i dont really think air cleaners ar that big of a deal unless its ram-air.

To my understanding, all a cj engine is, is 4bolt main caps, a slightly different crank, a bigger cam and 4v heads. i dont really think air cleaners ar that big of a deal unless its ram-air.
It a little more than that 1971/1972 Q code motor provided a short block having flat top pistons, 4 bolt main bearing caps, the good oil pan equipped with a full length windage tray, the good oil pump pick-up, a dual point distributor, a 750 cfm Motorcraft 4300D carburetor and the good non-EGR spread bore intake manifold

That motor/breather sure looks like it is a 460 in a mid-70's Thunderbird. The Electronic Engine Control box on the driver's side fender wound make it about 1974 or later. Definitely not for a Mustang.

That quasi-ram air ducting should be a give-away... We're close! LOL

Ray

Would it not be a H.O. in 73.My shop manual shows an H.O. and a 351 4v.I may be wrong but I thought the 72 was also called an H.O.

Hey Don,

Are you saying that the "Q" code was actually referred to as the "CJ" in 72, but not in 73?

That's odd...I was thought the opposite was true. I have seen lots of literature from Ford calling the 73 Q-code a "CJ", but don't really remember ever seeing a Ford reference to a "CJ" in 72.

Oh well, learn something new every day about these cars that stopped production 40+ YEARS AGO! I love it.

Being the owner of a "Cobra Jet" I always had a snobbish attitude towards the Q-codes co-opting the name, since all "Cobra Jets" previous to that were big blocks...no small block "Cobra Jets".

Then one day, it finally hit me: The 351 Q-code (or any other small block) really never has been officially or otherwise referred to as a "Cobra Jet"...just simply a "CJ".

A "CJ" is not a "Cobra Jet", just as a "Cuda" is not a "Barracuda".

So, our big-block "Cobra Jet" names are safe!

(Whew!)
Jay only a 1972 R code was called an H.O. they only made 398 of them -

Kit yes 72 was a CJ

I suspect it was just a marketing idea once the EPA said no no to the ram air version.

73 was called 4 V

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Just recently learned about the "Dual Inlet" Cobra Jet air cleaner, where besides having the inlet snorkel on the passenger side, an additional vacuum activated trap door ( inlet) is installed on the driver's side.

What was the determining factor in this "Special" air cleaner being installed on a 1973 351 4V engine?. Was it an option?. I've read various positions on 1973 351 4V's being designated "Cobra Jet". What is the "Correct" & "Definitive" answer on what constitutes a 1973 Cobra Jet engine.

Also does a "Cobra Jet" air cleaner MUST have the chrome air cleaner lid???!!

My 1973 Mach 1 351 4V is a 4 bolt main with a dual point distributor ( only available on 4 speeds) & is 99.999999999% stock. I believe my engine is a "Cobra Jet", yet I DON'T have the dual inlet air cleaner.....WHY NOT???!!!....Would appreciate a documented "CORRECT" answer, NOT someone's Guess!....Thanks!!!...Mark

Check out my pictures on my gallery I have pictures of my original air cleaner, I am the original owner of this 73 351 4V.

I know that the top of the air cleaner was painted.

Back