Complete Wiring harness recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's the update i promised , the harness i used was a universal one that i bought in Pomona at the swap meet last November. it was a 20-circuit unit,

the fusebox now sits just beside the pedal fore the handbrake, and above the clutch pedal under the dash.

i had taken the dash itself out, makes it much more easier to work on. the dash was powdercoated gloss black while it was out.

Made some mods to the wiring harness, i have electric fans which need a separate relais for each fan. for the rest the harness was long enough only for a few wires, but thats also because i have the complete harness out of sight, the engine loom runs from the firewall ,then on the inside of the fender towards the core support, there it runs under the core support towards the right side for the headlight,markerlight, foglight, and MSD-6 and ignition, other wires for the fans went on the inside of the rigfht fender.

also added relais for the headlights,foglight,added 1 relais for the fans, added a few wires for the oil-temp, idiot-light for the alternator, and i have switches in the center-console for the fans ( so i can turn them on at my demand, there's also a temperature operated switch) a switch for the foglights and their corrosponding lights, so those needed some wiring as well.

so is it doable for the less experienced electrician amongst us,.. Yes and no, you have to know what you're doing, if 4 or more wires confuse you, then don't do it.. leave it for the proffesional

here are some pictures. this is the old situation.

glovebox filled with fusebox and wires...

everything cut out.(talk about a rats nest!!)

i have no pics of the harness itself, but here its starting to come together.

wires for the MSD, the battery is in the trunk

taillight/fuelpump section

fusebox

everything is now hooked up with connectors, gauges and such, so if needed i can take it out.

running lights in action

everything back in place and connected

picture time!

That looks awesome! Very nice work!

How did you retrofit the late model Cobra brakes to your '72? Did your car come with drum spindles originally?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks!:D

no, my car was a disc brake car,.. i did this conversion 8 years ago,at that time nothing was available for these years, so i made the brackets for the calipers myself, made some wooden templates, then had those made in steel and i used '65 hubs, these place the wheels 1/2" more inward. made some spacers and bolted them on,. works perfect..

but if i had to do it now?

just contact Street or Track,. they sell brackets for 71-73 disc-spindles. :D:cool:

Looks awesome.. As for the cobra brakes, there was a company called Vintage Venom that offered the brackets to put modern (SN95) mustang brakes to the older cars..

Back