Convertible owners-do me a favor!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
Can you take a few pictures of window fitment and alignment? Door and quarter? How they line up together and touch top weatherstripping? I am having a difficult time getting mine aligned. I am almost there but not quite…one quarter window is farther forward, and looks good, the other won’t go that far forward…one window is adjusted to max height and isn’t high enough…50 year old cars….GRRRR!!!

I have my stops and adjustment loose, the crank mechanism is maxed out at top of door…maybe top needs adjustment down…

I've been able to get my 72's door and quarter windows adjusted pretty well using the adjustment procedures and steps in the Ford shop manual.

I started with the door windows, getting them positioned to the A-pillar and the convertible top. You can have good alignment at the front of the window and the in/out alignment of the door window at the quarter window may be off. I adjust this in/out position next, followed by adjusting the quarter window. Once I do these then I go back and fine tune the adjustments.

Notes:
- The 71 and 73 door windows have different adjustment procedures, per their respective shop manuals.
- New weatherstrips on the convertible frames may push the windows out of align. They will relax over time and allow your windows to align better.

In our case we were fortunate in coming across a 73 vert that had been stored for over 40 years in a barn. The current odometer shows just a little over 21,000 original miles are on it. Our doors and windows are all aligned quite perfectly, and the top lays very nicely flattened when it is put down. I am not certain what close-up photos may gain for you given how well our car is really in near showroom condition. And I have only a few photos that show anywhere even kind of close to what I "think" you are looking for. But, it you let know if you still need more photos, and tell me where you want me to take photos of, I will carve out the tome to go out where it is being kept for Winter Hibernation and get some photos for you. I wish I could share some info on what adjustments were most useful, but for both of our 73 Mustangs I have never had to make any adjustments to door positions or door glass adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 0
In our case we were fortunate in coming across a 73 vert that had been stored for over 40 years in a barn. The current odometer shows just a little over 21,000 original miles are on it. Our doors and windows are all aligned quite perfectly, and the top lays very nicely flattened when it is put down. I am not certain what close-up photos may gain for you given how well our car is really in near showroom condition. And I have only a few photos that show anywhere even kind of close to what I "think" you are looking for. But, it you let know if you still need more photos, and tell me where you want me to take photos of, I will carve out the tome to go out where it is being kept for Winter Hibernation and get some photos for you. I wish I could share some info on what adjustments were most useful, but for both of our 73 Mustangs I have never had to make any adjustments to door positions or door glass adjustments.
Just some closer pictures of the windows…maybe both windows together, both windows separate then how the glass pushes against the upper weatherstripping And rear of quarter window against convertible top?? Thanks!

it looks like the chrome strip on the quarter window is right on the door opening gap and has a slight forward tilt?

Hi!

I ended up having to step out for a bit, and went out to where the 73 vert is parked for its Winter Hibernation. I grabbed some photos and a video. The video may be too large to attach to this thread message. So, I dropped all the files into my Google Drive. You can access the files in the link below. If for some reason you can't download the files just message me back in this thread and let m eknow, and/or if you need some more photos in any specific area I may not have covered.

My Google Drive Link for the files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PhYG6JigFnrLD9zd4Eic-cHgCMXFiOLy?usp=share_link

Back