Converting 4 speed pedals to automatic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
Car currently has 4 speed pedals in it.

Can I simply remove the clutch and brake pedal, and reinstall the auto brake pedal? Or will it require the bracket to be swapped as well?

The pedal 'hanger' or bracket is the same for manual and auto trans, it either has clutch pedal pivot bushings in it or it doesn't. You can just remove the clutch pedal and swap the manual trans brake pedal for an auto one.

Power brake and manual brake have the pushrod hole in different spots though...

I would just swap the entire pedal support unit for an auto unit. I have a couple of auto setups I pulled from parts cars. Which auto are you going to use. Personally i'd go with a 4r70w.

The auto verses manual wars, lol. In my job I spent time in other countries and it seems that the U.S. is the only one that likes automatics. In China most have manual, all taxi, but they are coming around with the big vans made by Buick and have auto. South Africa when you rent a car you better know how to drive manual or you will be out of luck. Germany also seemed to have more manual. I like manual but have auto also because that is what came in them.

David

Yeah, that's the problem, auto vs. manual. Sorta.

It's a stick car, but I only have the pedals. It came to me with a C6 behind the original Cleveland (I gave that leaky lump away to a friend). I've pretty much made up my mind to install the roller Windsor (semi-blasphemy!) with an AOD, even though a fresh 460/C6 is at the ready. The goal is to get this thing under its own power and be a daily driver for the 13 mile one-way trek to work.

I have a T5, several stock AOD's, and several C4's with smaller streetable converters for the small blocks but only C6's for the fat one.

And 4 sets of pigs for 2 different axles, so gear ratios aren't a concern.

I figger I could blow a lot of stuff up and still be afloat...

Glad to know the hanger is the same, thanks fellas. I have the auto pedal, and the column is out, so this should be easy peasy.

Back