Cooling down the Alum Headed 521

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

with my old set up with the 460 or 521 with iron heads, i was able to cool those motors down pretty well with a 3 row HD copper/brass radiator that mirrors a factory 429 car. i used a shroud from crites and a 19 flex fan and then later a 19 inch fan clutch fan set up. this set up would cool down to 170 with a 160stat no problem.

now here comes the 521 motor with alum heads. the engine builder warmed me that alum heads dissipate heat from the chambers being able to use higher compression with the same gas and etc etc etc. however, thats at the expense of the coolant. he said it transfers the heats into the coolant and boy did i experience that. i got the car running and it was normal for me to see a 210 temp. i swapped over back to a mr. gasket high flow 160 stat. ordered an ebay radiator thats comes from champion radiators. from other forums, they say they are china made but very high quality. i also got electric fans that fit the core size perfect thanks to (QCODE) but i wish they put out a little more cfm. and since i am worried about temps i also ordered a bottle of water wetter additive.

as soon as i fired the system up, the fans are suppose to turn on about 176 and actually turn on at 180ish and won't turn off until 161. since its hot in my garage and its summer, the fans aren't strong enough to get it lower than 168 but i did run it at nite and it cooled it down enough to where they turned off when the temp gauge said about 164.

when i got the alum radiator though, the radiator has feet at the bottom for factory mounting. but the top of the radiator had them too which doesn't display that from the manufacturers display from them. so i just cut them off and the radiator bolts right up.

i'm really happy with the radiator and the temps i can hold now for racing. i never once saw more than 185 yesterday at the track on a 94 degree sacramento night.

my old radiator is still in good condition and cooled down a 521 iron motor so its up for grabs. however, the member who bought my 460 has the tops dibs on i first. i was thinking 75 dollars for it takes it.

130614_0002.jpg

130614_0001.jpg

130622_0008.jpg

Last edited:
guys, i would recommend this radiator for anybody who needs more cooling. they even have a 2 row version for this.

if you are building a hotter 351 cleveland, 351 windsor or a anything alumium heads i would recommend a alumium radiator. it sucks to see motors run hot and especially if you are running a 351 cleveland with 11 to 1 CR on pump gas.

Champion Radiators rocks!!!!

Back