Cornbread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Recipe, will absolutely make that.

Don't have a cast iron 9" but something close.

Now need a big pot of chili; beef, beans, tomatoes, onions

and a few other things. Do you have a favorite chili recipe?

mike
Actually I use Carrol Shelby's chilli recipe. I tried it once and liked it. It's in a small brown box in the grocery store. I alter it by adding 16 oz of tomato paste instead of 8 and usually add a couple of splashes of Jack Daniels or beer. I use all the spices in the box and it turns out just right. Yes, most of my versions of a recipe usually contain the same optional ingredients. My homemade buttermilk beer biscuits are fine, fine, fine.

Great Recipe, will absolutely make that.

Don't have a cast iron 9" but something close.

Now need a big pot of chili; beef, beans, tomatoes, onions

and a few other things. Do you have a favorite chili recipe?

mike
Actually I use Carrol Shelby's chilli recipe. I tried it once and liked it. It's in a small brown box in the grocery store. I alter it by adding 16 oz of tomato paste instead of 8 and usually add a couple of splashes of Jack Daniels or beer. I use all the spices in the box and it turns out just right. Yes, most of my versions of a recipe usually contain the same optional ingredients. My homemade buttermilk beer biscuits are fine, fine, fine.
I use the Chili con Carne recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cook

book page 196. The book with a checkered red and white cover.

mike

I have a good chili recipe. I'll have to post it sometime. It'd go real good with Don's cornbread!
Post it Jeff & I'll give it a try Saturday night. :)

mike
I like trying new stuff. I'll see if it's in the BH&G cook book we have.

I am a buttermilk biscuit boy my self but I do love brown beans and cornbread
Now your talking!
Alright, what are these "brown beans" yall speak of? As for the rest, I too can't take the buttermilk straight, but Mom liked it.
Take pinto beans, add 2 tablespoons of lard, salt to taste and boil them with either bacon or a good ham hock until the juice forms a gravy and slop it on your cornbread or biscuit and enjoy

One thing i do know how to make..Is a good pot of beans ;) Ill have to make some up to go with the cornbread..lol

My cowboy style beans..Slow cooked in a crock pot

Ham hock or bacon works

Large red kidney beans

large can of chicken broth "makes everything taste much better than just water"

I add a diced onion

Hot sauce and i add usualy canned jalapinos for the weak ;) Not everyone likes them hot as i do.lol

Just a bit of honey or brown sugar to offset all the onions and peppers...sorghum or molasses is great too

You can add some chili powder..But dont have too..1tbsp usualy..and can add tomatos or tomatos sauce to change it up

and of cource a bit of salt..I dont have exact measurements...Cause i just guess and play with the formula a little every time...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mike
Actually use my book a lot and it is probably 35 years old.

Considering the company I am in I am stepping out on a limb

by saying I make a pretty good barbecue sauce.

mike

mike
Actually use my book a lot and it is probably 35 years old.

Considering the company I am in I am stepping out on a limb

by saying I make a pretty good barbecue sauce.

mike
Careful, Mike. Barbecue sauce can be touchy. People have been known to get a bowl and fill it with my sauce and eat it plain, without meat, bread or anything! :cool: I call it kitchen sink BBQ sauce - two key ingredients are liquid smoke and molasses. It all starts with pureed tomatoes, brown sugar, minced onions, cider vinegar, etc. Worcestorshire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, etc, etc. Yum if I say so myself.... :p

This thread just went to the next level. I call mine Open Container BBQ Sauce. Each year it wins the annual rib off we have.

Careful, Mike. Barbecue sauce can be touchy. People have been known to get a bowl and fill it with my sauce and eat it plain, without meat, bread or anything! :cool: I call it kitchen sink BBQ sauce - two key ingredients are liquid smoke and molasses. It all starts with pureed tomatoes, brown sugar, minced onions, cider vinegar, etc. Worcestorshire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, etc, etc. Yum if I say so myself.... :p
Let me step further out on the limb. I have never used this recipe

as a barbecue sauce although that is how it was categorized in an FTP

newsgroup called rec.food.recipe. So the name stuck.

It would likely make a spectacular baste for barbecue but I have only

used the recipe as a crockpot filler for chicken, meatballs and ribs.

People tell me I should go commercial with this recipe, it is that good.

Contains every item listed above and and few other things. I use

green onions. You could poor this on a bowl of cornbread, yummy.

mike

When I spent my 13 months in China I always took a 50 lb. suit case of food back with me on trips home, 3 times. I never got checked at customs in China, lol. I would have country cured ham, pinto beans, corn meal, Segrams 7 and lots of stuff you could not get in China. It took me several weeks to find a crock pot or slow cooker there. I would make chili, home made soup and invite friends over. You don't have an oven in China. They just do not bake or have much bread. I had to fry the corn bread in my wok. You had two burners on your stove top one for a pot and the other a big one for the wok. Another thing I took was pop corn it was expensive there and found only in the import foods section.

It took me months to go to a Chinese restaurant after returning home. I gained 22 lbs. eating their healthy food, lol.

Living here in the mountains we had all the great country cooking. My grandmother was a cook at a sawmill camp in the mountains. I have never figured out how she made her biscuits soooo good. The wood cook stove had something to do with it.

I have a dutch oven that my great great great grandmother cooked with on the fireplace hearth. They did not have a cook stove. I take it camping and fix biscuits in it for the grand kids, they are amazed you can cook without a stove.

Now I want to go camping and eat some great country cooking.

Going to try Don's recipe but do not like sugar in my corn bread. Put cream style corn and jalapenos in my Mexican corn bread for chili.

David

Yeah, the sugar recipe has been replaced. It was good but I prefer it not so sweet. I'll have to type out the latest version. I like it a lot better.

Back