Side mirrors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterV

Reaction score
My Car
My Mustang disappeared in 1986 :(
Apologizes if this has been asked before. I tried to search and only seeing a lot about chrome mirrors or adding new glass (which will help if no other options).

However, is there any third party that may make replacement mirrors that are larger but also line up at the correct angle? I have a '71 convertible. The funny part is my first car was a '71 convertible and I don't recall EVER having an issue with the tiny side mirrors. It finally hit me. At 16-18 years old I was passing everyone on the road so always knew exactly what was in the next lane lol. Now I'm old, not driving like I'm late to a party, and can't see!!!

Hoping there's something out there, even if I can't replace them until ready to get the car painted.

I know exactly what you mean. Mirrors are way too small and indeed could have been made much bigger.
On my Mach 1 with "racing mirrors" I decided to make my own. Scott Drake in all his wisdom, does make a right side convex mirror, but instead of thinking it through, they made it the same tiny size as the original when in fact, it could have been a good 1/2" wider.
What I did was to a) figure out how big I could make a convex mirror, b) find a suitable replacement mirror and then get it cut to size. Once that was decided and sourced, I then broke off the old glass. Tightened the ball socket, they always seem to droop and got the base prepped. I cut an aluminum base out of 1/16" material, had the glass cutter cut the convex mirror to that exact size, including script at the bottom. I used my favorite product, Automotive GOOP to adhere the mirror to the base aluminum, then adhered that to the original base, making sure it was exactly where it needed to be to give maximum viewing. Tape in place while GOOP is curing, 24+hrs.
The result is I can see an entire right lane if I'm traveling in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway for example.
Here's a pic or two.

EDIT 1: I realized I did not use 1/16th aluminum, but .040" or 1mm. Still plenty thick to support the glass and hold the assembly in place.

EDIT 2: When GOOPing the backer plate to the base, only add GOOP around the edges, not in the center, pic 110564. I did add a dab of GOOP on the outside as seen it pic 612, but that was because this base could not be tighten sufficiently to hold in place. Others may have to do the same thing.

Attachments

• DSC00309.JPG
    DSC00309.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0610 (2).JPG
    IMG_0610 (2).JPG
    674.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230802_110546.jpg
    20230802_110546.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Awesome, and thanks! I hoped for a complete replacement option, but what you did sounds better than just sticking a convex mirror of the same size in. Isn't in my wheelhouse to do it myself, but with that info I can at least get it done :) I have the racing mirrors as well so the pics will be helpful!

I know exactly what you mean. Mirrors are way too small and indeed could have been made much bigger.
On my Mach 1 with "racing mirrors" I decided to make my own. Scott Drake in all his wisdom, does make a right side convex mirror, but instead of thinking it through, they made it the same tiny size as the original when in fact, it could have been a good 1/2" wider.
What I did was to a) figure out how big I could make a convex mirror, b) find a suitable replacement mirror and then get it cut to size. Once that was decided and sourced, I then broke off the old glass. Tightened the ball socket, they always seem to droop and got the base prepped. I cut an aluminum base out of 1/16" material, had the glass cutter cut the convex mirror to that exact size, including script at the bottom. I used my favorite product, Automotive GOOP to adhere the mirror to the base aluminum, then adhered that the to original base, making sure it was exactly where it needed to be to give maximum viewing.
The result is I can see an entire right lane if I'm traveling in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway for example.
Here's a pic or two.
This is another great adaptation from you, Geoff. I will be using this mod very soon. Thanks!

This is another great adaptation from you, Geoff. I will be using this mod very soon. Thanks!
I've used up most of my 1/16" aluminum when I made my vacuum former for the headlight water shields, BUT, and I say BUT, I may still have enough to cut out a a few base blanks for sale at a reasonable cost. Finding a suitable doner mirror and cutting it is up to the individual. I can certainly provide a drawing for the blank if that works too. Pm if interested.

I've used up most of my 1/16" aluminum when I made my vacuum former for the headlight water shields, BUT, and I say BUT, I may still have enough to cut out a a few base blanks for sale at a reasonable cost. Finding a suitable doner mirror and cutting it is up to the individual. I can certainly provide a drawing for the blank if that works too. Pm if interested.
Thanks, Geoff. I think I have enough materials in my garage to do this. I'll let you know if I have questions, though. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Thanks, Geoff. I think I have enough materials in my garage to do this. I'll let you know if I have questions, though. Thanks for sharing this great idea!
I'll redo the drawing and post it. From that, I would cut a cardboard template and go from there. Stay tuned!

Check with your countryman @Austin Vert I think he did a write up on here about electric mirrors a few years back.
Thanks Sheriff,

Hi Vern. Yes, you will find out all about my power mirrors for '71 to '73 Mustangs (parts 1 to 10) in the tutorials section under Electrical and Lighting.

Greg :)

I'll redo the drawing and post it. From that, I would cut a cardboard template and go from there. Stay tuned!
Here is a scan of the latest template for the right side CONVEX mirror glass and aluminum backer plate. You will need to enlarge to the dimensions shown. Additional trimming may be necessary for best fit on YOUR mirror body and your seating position. They do vary a bit. The CONVEX mirror glass is cut from a suitable replacement mirror found at a local auto parts store.

EDIT in Italics.

Attachments

• New Convex Mirror.jpg
    New Convex Mirror.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Latest Mirror.pdf
    297.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here is a scan of the latest template for the right side CONVEX mirror glass and aluminum backer plate. You will need to enlarge to the dimensions shown. Additional trimming may be necessary for best fit on YOUR mirror body. They do vary a bit. The CONVEX mirror glass is cut from a suitable replacement mirror found at a local auto parts store.
If you need any help, you know where to find me. Best to PM.

I kind of find this funny, but I designed this mirror upgrade in 2016, but saw little interest. However it is good that people are now thinking along the same lines and I'm more than happy to help.
Here are links to past threads that might be useful.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/passenger-mirror-wont-adjust.25291/post-258995
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/revised-71-73-sport-mirror-convex-mirror.29408/
There are lots of posts on this subject in SEARCH. "right side convex mirror". Using my user name, will bring up many from 2016.

Here's my solution. Looks crap, but I was using the car to drive to work in, almost a daily driver. I'm cheap and lazy, so I got this trailer towing accessory. I have something similar on the driver's side, because I don't like blindspots on either side.

Attachments

• 20230804_113439.jpg
    20230804_113439.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Here's my solution. Looks crap, but I was using the car to drive to work in, almost a daily driver. I'm cheap and lazy, so I got this trailer towing accessory. I have something similar on the driver's side, because I don't like blindspots on either side.
Whatever works I guess.
I have a 1 1/2" spot mirror on my driver side as well for that very reason.

Back