Correct finish of rear deck spoiler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi,

I have recently bought a used aftermarket spoiler for my father's vert because his lid has two bad filled holes where originally one was fitted there.

The spoiler is with an uneven, bad lacquered structure like the new aftermarket front spoilers and is relatively heavy. I must overhaul it because of the terrible look like that - it will be a present for my daddy...

My Mach 1's spoiler is absolutely clean and even without any structure. I think, this is the original one but it has been lacquered long time ago. It looks right for me as it is.

So how are the original ones? Do they have had any structure or are they originally clean?

Any idea how I could work on the spoiler for my father?

Tim

I'm not clear on your meaning of structure but the correct finish for 71-73 spoilers front and rear is Matt not flat or gloss. the front spoiler has a grainy finish to the grainy plastic/fiberglass and the rear spoiler is smooth with a Matt finish paint. Factory colors for both items is either black or Argent silver. I hope this helps.

I believe some early '69 spoilers may have come with a textured finish ( like Dodge's near-identical spoiler).

71 front spoilers are textured ABS plastic only. Never came fiberglas from the factory.

Even though many disagree, I still maintain that the front spoilers only came in black...never in argent as an OEM offering. The argent front spoilers are an aftermarket item.

There is no Ford-sourced photographic proof that I have ever seen that displays an argent front spoiler...only black, even on cars with argent lower tutone paint.

And of course, the front spoiler was only ever available from the factory on the 71 BOSS351...never on any other model or year.

The rear spoiler on 71-73 was an option on any Sportsroof, Mach 1 or BOSS 351. Never available on coupes, Grandes or convertibles.

The rear spoiler was smooth-finished ( no texture) and matte black or argent, depending on the car's color combo. ( the rear spoiler, stripes and hood tutone ALWAYS matched.)

Last edited:
I believe some early '69 spoilers may have come with a textured finish ( like Dodge's near-identical spoiler).

71 front spoilers are textured ABS plastic only. Never came fiberglas from the factory.

Even though many disagree, I still maintain that the front spoilers only came in black...never in argent as an OEM offering. The argent front spoilers are an aftermarket item.

There is no Ford-sourced photographic proof that I have ever seen that displays an argent front spoiler...only black, even on cars with argent lower tutone paint.

And of course, the front spoiler was only ever available from the factory on the 71 BOSS351...never on any other model or year.

The rear spoiler on 71-73 was an option on any Sportsroof, Mach 1 or BOSS 351. Never available on coupes, Grandes or convertibles.

The rear spoiler was smooth-finished ( no texture) and matte black or argent, depending on the car's color combo. ( the rear spoiler, stripes and hood tutone ALWAYS matched.)
+1

Ray

More information from Bob Perkins on color and texture. Chuck

"Mr. Perkins,

I have a question regarding my 73 Mach 1. I would to like to know what color black paint is used to be correct and what texture also?

Bob Perkins Ask a Question

Bob Perkins

The correct black for the hood on a 71-73 Mach 1 is a low gloss black with no texture. The rear-spoiler option, is a low gloss textured black."

Bob Perkins is usually the go-to guy for these kinds of questions, but...that is flat wrong: the rear spoilers on 71-73 Mustangs most definitely did NOT have textured paint.

You might want to let him know so he doesn't continue to spread incorrect information. Chuck

Where did that Perkins quote come from? Bob certainly knows his stuff,and it is odd that he would make such an obvious incorrect statement. At one time he owned the lowest-mileage original 71-73 Mach, and a super-low mile BOSS 351 with a "factory freak"( mistaken build) Mach 1 tutone hood.

Maybe that article misquoted him?

I have personally seen many dozens of original spoilers over the years ( including my own) and none had textured paint.

I clearly remember rows of new Machs at dealers with smooth-finish spoilers.

I'm not clear on your meaning of structure.....

I think what Tim means is that the new aftermarket rear spoiler has the same grainy "goosebumps" surface as the front spoilers. Given the fact that it is an aftermarket piece that is not uncommon.

Both my front and rear spoilers have the textured argent paint finish... most definitely after market stuff on my coupe. Wish the PO of my car would have checked with someone before installing the rear spoiler backwards!!!

Great info Chuck... as always.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

I think you are right on the front spoiler only being black but I did buy a crashed Mach 1 T-5 in 1976 I think and the front spoiler was painted argent. I have one NOS front spoiler in the Ford box will have to get it out and make some pics before using it.

I agree about the hood, rear spoiler and stripes matching the flat black. I have an original 73 Mach and can get some pics that show that. Most people do not spray around the front side marker light before putting the stripe on like the factory did and also around the tail lights in back. I need to get pictures of everything since this car is all original. It is original just not washed in 32 years so one day soon I will clean it up.

David

Where did that Perkins quote come from? Bob certainly knows his stuff,and it is odd that he would make such an obvious incorrect statement. At one time he owned the lowest-mileage original 71-73 Mach, and a super-low mile BOSS 351 with a "factory freak"( mistaken build) Mach 1 tutone hood.

Maybe that article misquoted him?

I have personally seen many dozens of original spoilers over the years ( including my own) and none had textured paint.

I clearly remember rows of new Machs at dealers with smooth-finish spoilers.
Here is the link where I found it. It is several pages in, maybe 6-10 pages.

Chuck

David,

That picture of the hood on the brown '73 Mach 1 hood is an excellent example of a factory-painted hood...or at least a very accurate repaint.

If it is in fact an original paint hood, I would like to ask you a favor: Please look very carefully and closely at the black paint near the outside edges of the scoop inserts. See if you can find any glitches in the paint that might suggest a point where two paint-masking templates were joined to complete the masking template.

If they are there, this is near-proof of an OEM paint-job.

And if there, some good close-up pics would be great too!

That photo also appears to show the somewhat innaccurate placement of the paint masking template common on factory-painted cars. The center "peak" of the paint stencil appears to have been placed a noticeable distance off-center, towards the drivers side.

These "loose" tolerances in application are what I have surmised have led to so many varying accounts of what the paint measurements on an "OEM painted" hood are supposed to be.

If the template is in fact not centered, and then a measurement is taken from the edge of the hood to the edge of the tutone paint to determine the "correct distance" you will in fact end up with an incorrectly-shaped tutone.

The ONLY accurate method to measure a factory tutone paint job is the measure the width of the tutone design itself where the design first becomes straight-edged: near the outside edge of the scoop inserts.

I have become somewhat fanatical over the years with regards to correct tutone paint...to the point of annoying many others...but I have seen SO MANY supposedly correct tutones that are in fact wildly incorrect over the years.

Last edited:
Good evening, guys (at least here now ;) )

Thank you for the constructive discussion about my topic.

@luxstang:

You are right, I lost words - thank you :D You just know what I mean, darling :p:p:p

@mrmach1

I meant the textured surface of the spoiler as Mike mentioned. It is very rough - like the modern aftermarket front spoilers for our mustangs.

@austin vert:

thank you, Greg, great thread. Love the color on your car - was mine originally too. Will begin in a few weeks with "reconditioning" it back to the original Gold Glow :) Where could I get this color exactly? I know there is a site in the www which shows some color codes but could they "translated" in the "outside-of-america"-paint-shops? What experiences do you made?

@kit sullivan:

Kit, great remarks, as often! It seems to be right as you are some kind of a "eyewitness". The non-textured smooth surface looks right to me. Let us suppose that we have an argent painted spoiler with a textured surface - that must have been looking ugly for my aesthetic sense. Black, ok, but argent?!? No, I cannot imagine that...

What do you think about the perkins-mind?

@Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs

David, great time capsule, your car! It has even the 3/4 vinyl roof, right? Someday I will perhaps refit it too - it is on my marti report...

@c9zx

Chuck, I do not see any link as you have mentioned...

Cheers,

Tim

Good evening, guys (at least here now ;) )

Thank you for the constructive discussion about my topic.

@luxstang:

You are right, I lost words - thank you :D You just know what I mean, darling :p:p:p

@mrmach1

I meant the textured surface of the spoiler as Mike mentioned. It is very rough - like the modern aftermarket front spoilers for our mustangs.

@austin vert:

thank you, Greg, great thread. Love the color on your car - was mine originally too. Will begin in a few weeks with "reconditioning" it back to the original Gold Glow :) Where could I get this color exactly? I know there is a site in the www which shows some color codes but could they "translated" in the "outside-of-america"-paint-shops? What experiences do you made?

@kit sullivan:

Kit, great remarks, as often! It seems to be right as you are some kind of a "eyewitness". The non-textured smooth surface looks right to me. Let us suppose that we have an argent painted spoiler with a textured surface - that must have been looking ugly for my aesthetic sense. Black, ok, but argent?!? No, I cannot imagine that...

What do you think about the perkins-mind?

@Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs

David, great time capsule, your car! It has even the 3/4 vinyl roof, right? Someday I will perhaps refit it too - it is on my marti report...

@c9zx

Chuck, I do not see any link as you have mentioned...

Cheers,

Tim
Sorry, I didn't copy it. Try again. Chuck http://myclassicgarage.com/marketplace/experts_panel/experts/bob-perkins?page=7

I'm pretty sure a Glasurit/BASF/R-M dealer in your area can match the original color for you. I know they have a vintage American car color listing on CD that is available here, it may be available there as well.

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back