Correct paint for spoilers on a 73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Hi All

I have been toying with the idea of fitting front and rear spoilers to my car. I got brand new black 1s that came with the vehicle when I purchased it. What is the correct colour for these spoilers when fitted to a Blue Glow and Argent 73 Mach 1. How would it of came if I ordered it from Ford in 73.

Thanks in advance and pictures and tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Argent-striped cars recieved argent rear spoilers. Front spoilers were never available on Mach 1s, so there is no "correct" color...but a matching argent front spoiler would probably look best.

Kit Sullivan,

When I read your reply, I said, really? After looking at the 1971 -1973 Mustang brochures, The Mustang Boss 351 is the only mustang that has a black front spoiler as a standard feature. We do know that the Ford dealer had plenty of options when came to dealer installed options.

Thanks!

mustabg7173

From what I've seen, the spoiler is probably the most common add-on to these cars; even more common than side stripes on cars that didn't come with them from factory - it seems as if every other '71-73 has them.

While the following Boss 351 shown below was a prototype car (with a Mach 1 hood treatment), it has also been one of a few data points for the theory that silver/argent front spoilers were never originally offered, even on cars with that secondary tu-tone color. Of course, this has a black spoiler as well, so it's a curiosity more than a valid data point:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-photo-561313-s-1280x782.jpg

-Kurt

So Kit just to clarify if I ordered a blue glow argent Mach 1 it would of came from the factory with an argent rear spoiler only. It is then plausible that a dealer would fit black spoilers to a argent striped car if both spoilers where dealer installed.

Yes, the rear spoilers always matched the color of the stripes if ordered from the factory.

The front spoiler is a bone of contention with many.

First, it was only available on the 71 BOSS-351. Period. No other model, no other year.

I purport that Ford only had them in black...no argent-colored front spoilers ever came on any BOSS-351. I say this for a few of resons:

1) First, I have been an obsessed fan of the 71-73 Mustang since the very first day they were revealed to the public 45 years ago. Just like some of you are today. I clearly remember seeing several BOSS 351s at dealerships, and on the road back then...all with black spoilers. NONE with argent spoilers, even the argent striped ones.

2) There has never been a seperate part # in the Ford MPG for 2 different front spoilers ( 1 black, 1 argent)

3) when the repops became available in the mid- eighties, only black was available. Argent colored repops became available a few years later.

I have never seen a NOS argent front spoiler, and have never seen an orginal BOSS 351 with a documented original argent front spoiler.

Beware though, most others disagree with me on this.

Thank you Kit. Kurt's photo would seem to support you argument, I think what muddies the waters is that a lot of people think what dealers fitted to cars from new with new parts equals factory. These 2 things are too my mind very different

Right: many dealers added the front spoilers, and many were sold over the parts counters. They sold so well, most Ford dealers kept one or two in stock in the parts department through 75 or so.

That was literally the first thing I added to my car when I bought it.

Kurt's photo would seem to support you argument,
I'd rely much heavier on Kit's reasoning - don't go by that photo too much. That's a pre-production car if any ever existed; just the first I could recall to mind.

Note that even the exhaust cutouts on the valance have been plated out.

-Kurt

Nice discussion, fellas. Hope this helps you, Luke!

/school marm/

Actually, I've seen some great discourse lately, so I should crank down my "ever vigilant" eyes and ears that were perked up several month ago. And that I will do.

Hi All

I have been toying with the idea of fitting front and rear spoilers to my car. I got brand new black 1s that came with the vehicle when I purchased it. What is the correct colour for these spoilers when fitted to a Blue Glow and Argent 73 Mach 1. How would it of came if I ordered it from Ford in 73.

all mustang periodicals show them in black. As well, convertible boot- if top is black

Hi All

all mustang periodicals show them in black. As well, convertible boot- if top is black

Hi All

Hi All

Thanks for that.I havent really decided if I am going to fit the kind of like having a Mach 1 without spoilers just to be different

Latest posts

Back