Crashed the Mustang :(

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for your loss. Glad your OK and be happy you were NOT driving a Yugo or MG. Fellow Coupe owner Joe Stang

Sorry for your loss. Glad your OK and be happy you were NOT driving a Yugo or MG. Fellow Coupe owner Joe Stang
Thanks Joe! Yeah, definitely happy it was in a "big body" Mustang and not a rolling death trap. Had it been an MG I would've come out of the car in at least 3 pieces. And had it been a Yugo, they would've never found the body lollerz

Have you had a chance to officially asses the damage yet? I hope despite the debate that some donations have come your way (I still haven't, but still plan to).

By the way, did you ever end up with a frame spec sheet? I have a copy if you need it still.

Have you had a chance to officially asses the damage yet? I hope despite the debate that some donations have come your way (I still haven't, but still plan to).

By the way, did you ever end up with a frame spec sheet? I have a copy if you need it still.
Thanks Mike, yeah Mister 4x4 sent me the spec sheet. I actually had a couple of hours last weekend to start tearing the front end apart. I was able to take off the fenders and bumper and the first thing I noticed is that the chassis is tweaked. The engine bay sort of bent toward the drivers side. Didn't even measure it since it was pretty plain to see that the chassis is bent. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning with more details.

Ok so here are some pictures. I was hoping behind the crumpled mess the frame would be OK, but that's not the case here. It's bent toward the driver's side, stretching out the driver side shock tower brace with it. The passenger side lower control arm is also bent, but that's an easy fix. I'm just glad the engine is intact. Hood is ok too. I'll need aprons, radiator support, fenders, a bunch of miscellaneous items, and I'll have to tow the car to a chassis shop to see how much it's going to cost to straighten. That day will come when I save up enough, but for now I'll just fix the control arm and keep the car running so it doesn't deteriorate too much sitting outside. At least I can still drive it around the neighborhood! :D Here are more juicy pictures of automotive carnage:

15cc55w.jpg

2rx8emf.jpg

Below, you can see the misaligned frame in relation to the straight fender.

2j46p2q.jpg

nqz81s.jpg

2ptuqdk.jpg

5frk07.jpg

Bent control arm:

s2r1io.jpg

Rear end is compressed, so you can't see much. But the frame frail seems untouched, so it's just the panel, wheel wells, partial trunk floor, taillight area, etc.:

taolf7.jpg

the back is not that bad, it can easly be fixed, but the front end!!! wow!!!

I was woneering if you can get a front Clip from a doner car everything from the firewall front, and repace the whole thing exept the firewall, but just the whole nose.

I think that would save you a ton of money and time.

the back is not that bad, it can easly be fixed, but the front end!!! wow!!!

I was woneering if you can get a front Clip from a doner car everything from the firewall front, and repace the whole thing exept the firewall, but just the whole nose.

I think that would save you a ton of money and time.
Yeah, a front clip would be good solution. But I'll only decide that after a chassis shop tells me how much it would be to straighten it out. If it's too much work, then a front clip will seem more reasonable. Otherwise, I'll just replace everything in front of the shock towers. Maybe my brain will eventually have a short circuit and I'll chop off the whole front and get a tube chassis built :banana:

You can pull it at a chassis shop, but I dare say the results will never be as satisfactory (or as simple, in the long run) as redoing the front clip.

It seems like more effort than necessary, but think of all the potential alignment issues when welding the replacement front end bits onto the straightened front end. Recipe for delays, headaches, and expensive re-dos.

At least you have a better chance at a properly aligned front end if you put a new front clip on (properly).

-Kurt

Straightening the towers rails is no biggie for an experienced frame guy with the RIGHT frame machine /bench..Gonna be a lot harder more expensive to put a front clip on..Your issue as I said before is secondary damage..http://books.google.com/books?id=CL8Z38FaPsAC&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=secondary+damage+from+a+collision&source=bl&ots=BwOpCyYs_Z&sig=KX5MSmY_dFYZe_pMZr2Gc2qcuYA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=S4daUpXJOIHWkQemroCABg&ved=0CFoQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=secondary%20damage%20from%20a%20collision&f=false

The above book would be a worth while investment PRIOR to taking the car to a shop..

Looking at the pics you need to dig further..the rear aprons are swayed..which means there could be damage to the cowl..firewall..hinge pillars..You will DEFINITELY need to pull the motor to repair the car properly..further access the damage..Putting a front clip on is going to do nothing for you if you don't repair the secondary damage

Last edited by a moderator:
Straightening the towers rails is no biggie for an experienced frame guy with the RIGHT frame machine /bench..Gonna be a lot harder more expensive to put a front clip on..Your issue as I said before is secondary damage..http://books.google.com/books?id=CL8Z38FaPsAC&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=secondary+damage+from+a+collision&source=bl&ots=BwOpCyYs_Z&sig=KX5MSmY_dFYZe_pMZr2Gc2qcuYA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=S4daUpXJOIHWkQemroCABg&ved=0CFoQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=secondary%20damage%20from%20a%20collision&f=false

The above book would be a worth while investment PRIOR to taking the car to a shop..

Looking at the pics you need to dig further..the rear aprons are swayed..which means there could be damage to the cowl..firewall..hinge pillars..You will DEFINITELY need to pull the motor to repair the car properly..further access the damage..Putting a front clip on is going to do nothing for you if you don't repair the secondary damage
All kidding aside I completely agree with Scott. Secondary damage especially a car that weighs as much as these do, plus lack of strategically placed crumple zones as on newer cars is a big concern.

Either way, tubular front ends are just cool! :)

The investment necessary to return this car to it's previous condition is likely to be high. I understand the emotional connection but this looks like a project with too many variables to be sure it would ever be right. Ask yourself, if this were a new car with this kind of damage would the insurance company fix it or total it?

It would be simpler, and more reliable to just re-body and start fresh.

This is just 1 guy's opinion, I am not a professional body man.

I also agree it would be in your best interest in the long run to get another coup and transfer as much as you can to it. The other way is going to cost alot and may not get the results you are hoping for. Take some time and think about it weigh everything out before making a decision.

The investment necessary to return this car to it's previous condition is likely to be high. I understand the emotional connection but this looks like a project with too many variables to be sure it would ever be right. Ask yourself, if this were a new car with this kind of damage would the insurance company fix it or total it?

It would be simpler, and more reliable to just re-body and start fresh.

This is just 1 guy's opinion, I am not a professional body man.
+1 ..Get ready to dig real deep $$$ After seeing your better pics today minimum 10k but more like 15-20 quite possible even more by the time all is said & done..Stay away from any shop that low balls you..thats the get you in tear down...give you the "OH we found more damage phone call" game..A honest shop is gonna tell you right up front ..10k... we need to tear it down first before we commit to a number..& to be frank theres no way to nail down a number with out a through tear down that means motor out THEN up on the measuring system then we go from there..

From My Point of view as someone who has been trained by Cheif EZ Liner to pull frames and has spent a considerable amount of time doing so Its going to take a lot of time to pull out and repair the damage. How much cant be determined without setting it up and taking the proper measurements as "Q" has previously stated. Am I currently a frame guy, No and I have never used the laser equipment. That came in after my time in the field. Im afraid I would advise a transfer of parts to a donor car. I am currently putting a clip on my first car because of rust and It IS a lot of work. If I were not doing it myself it would not be financially worth it and One can claim it may not be even now. Just a few thoughts from someone who has had a little experience and desires to help not hurt. Im not telling you what to do just giving my point of view and I will be here to support your decision with any advice I can offer that may be helpful. Dennis

Watch my build thread. I found poorly repaired major collision damage. It is at the body shop now to at least get front and rear passenger side aprons, and probably both front frame sections, and a core support. I will let you know how much it runs, and what other damage they find.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-totalled-s-rebuild-thread?page=7

I have been trying to make a decision like this since 1991. The emotional attachment to my first car and the work I put in to it to begin with have taken up space in my Dad's garage this whole time. I have stripped the seats out and that was as far as I have gone with the car. I was thinking about pulling the engine and using it as a practice engine for a tear down and rebuild. I thought about selling it on ebay just to see if anyone wanted anything from it instead of taking it in for scrap.

Excellent advice, guys. Thank you all. I've been taking it all in with my "reasoning" mode on, and yes, it makes sense to just get a donor shell and transfer everything to it. I noticed the doors don't close the same and require a good "slam" to shut them properly. I'm afraid the secondary damage is bad and numbers like $10k or above to get the car fixed are quite frightening. At this point there are two options, one reasonable and one a bit on the extreme side. Here it goes:

Option 1: Find a good solid shell and transfer everything over. I'll keep as many of the original components as possible and just use the new chassis. Should keep costs way down and my sanity way up compared to straightening the current car.

Option 2: There's an old engineer who's friends with my brother. He runs an architectural engineering place and has done everything from buildings to cars to plane jobs. The guy knows his stuff and after seeing his extensive resume, I'm convinced he can build a spaceship to another galaxy if he really wanted to. Anyway, he's been itching to tackle a "fun" project and my brother had suggested converting my '92 Ranger to a mid-engine setup, to which he delightfully agreed. That never came to fruition because I started driving Big Blue. My brother is going to ask if he'd be interested in cutting the front clip off and building a front tube chassis for it. We'd probably move the engine back a bit to get a good weight distribution and center of gravity, along with some other cool mods we could potentially do on a tube chassis setup. Beforehand, we'd have to cut the front and straighten the rest of the frame anyway, but labor would be very very cheap if he decided to tackle the project.

Of course, at the moment, the second option is only an idea and nothing more than a daydream, but there is possibility for it to happen. It would be a Frankenstein's monster, an insult to purists, but would have potential to be an absolute beast at the track.

If that doesn't go through, I'll stick to my first option. I'll keep you guys posted, as I'm hoping for a reply from the engineer by this week.

I have been trying to make a decision like this since 1991. The emotional attachment to my first car and the work I put in to it to begin with have taken up space in my Dad's garage this whole time. I have stripped the seats out and that was as far as I have gone with the car. I was thinking about pulling the engine and using it as a practice engine for a tear down and rebuild. I thought about selling it on ebay just to see if anyone wanted anything from it instead of taking it in for scrap.
Really stinks to have to make a decision on it. Sometimes it feels better to just hold on to it and expect some beacon of hope even if it sits there for decades without being touched. It really is a difficult situation, and I can totally relate on the emotional side of things. If I had a garage to store Big Blue in, I'd probably end up in the same situation. Unfortunately, the car is exposed to the elements, and I'm in a battle against time and mother nature. Hope you can figure out what to do with it without it hurting too much. How bad is the damage on yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back