cudak888: 1971 M-code "Soylent Green" - 8/30/14: Shrinking disc time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'79 Lincoln is gone, so the '71 gets a new parking space :D

71_mustang_191.jpg

-Kurt

Alternate end caps came in the mail today. This casting seems to fit a bit better - not to say there isn't a significant amount of work still to be done before it fits to my satisfaction.

71_mustang_192.jpg

71_mustang_193.jpg

71_mustang_194.jpg

-Kurt

I worked like hell today sealing up the gap all the way to the end. Thanks to a relentless fight with the wonky reproduction panel curve, I wound up beating the panel to the point where it doesn't look so good (this is what you call "taking credit for a disaster").

71_mustang_195.jpg

71_mustang_196.jpg

There are a few spots I can still shrink, but it looks as if its going to be fiberglass-reinforced filler for the goal and win.

At least the boogered up section on top is a bit smoother - even though it is also one of the biggest HAZ's I've ever witnessed. Can't stretch it at this point either, and I'm not going to (unless Q-code has a fantastic trick of which I am ignorant of).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S.: Q - what would you suggest to build up that dip that I need to fix on the beltline? Rage Gold seems to be the going filler for finishing work, but I'm guessing that I need to put something more substantial underneath it beforehand.

-Kurt

Lost every bit of patience I ever had with it this afternoon, as follows:

• Ground down the weld beads from the back.
  • Tried to hammer-and-dolly the big HAZ out.
  • Wound up making more holes in the big HAZ.
  • Gave up and tried banging out the HAZ at the end of the panel.
  • Put 5000 more dents in above HAZ in trying to stretch the contour out.
  • Hammered on the panel like a madman. Cracked the welds here and there.
  • Cut a slit in the bad repair someone did behind the trunk and pulled the edge out to check against the end cap.
  • Tried fitting the end cap 5,239 times.
  • Figured out that the flat part of the quarter panel (where the end cap fits at the end of the car) is sitting too far inboard.
  • Resolved to get entire back end of an original quarter from a donor car.
  • Slammed the reproduction panel as hard as I could with my foot, denting it - thereby ensuring that I won't try to cheapen out on myself with whatever I put in its place.
  • In short, "REPLACE THE WHOLE DAMN SECTION."
  • Severely considering taking out the rear window and doing the job right with an NOS quarter. This quarter skin baloney is pure and utter bullshit.

I've probably shaved a good 3 years off the lifespan of my back in the process of trying to save $1000 - by spending two months doing the job half-assed.

Anyone want a Mach 1? :p

-Kurt

[*]In short, "REPLACE THE WHOLE DAMN SECTION."

[*]Severely considering taking out the rear window and doing the job right with an NOS quarter. This quarter skin baloney is pure and utter bullshit.

I've probably shaved a good 3 years off the lifespan of my back in the process of trying to save $1000 - by spending two months doing the job half-assed.

-Kurt
rofl

Now you have some real world insight into what it takes to do a quarter skin & make it right..Thats why it costs so much to have it done correctly & most can't do it right It's why you see them overlapped 90% of the time..

[*]In short, "REPLACE THE WHOLE DAMN SECTION."

[*]Severely considering taking out the rear window and doing the job right with an NOS quarter. This quarter skin baloney is pure and utter bullshit.

-Kurt
rofl

Now you have some real world insight into what it takes to do a quarter skin & make it right..Thats why it costs so much to have it done correctly & most can't do it right It's why you see them overlapped 90% of the time..
Wow! That's pretty cold :mad:

Very true - but I wouldn't have given up all the practice it gave me for a million bucks.

Granted, I almost got there ;)

-Kurt

Very true - but I wouldn't have given up all the practice it gave me for a million bucks.

-Kurt
Hang in there, Kurt! Still did better than I did. :D

-Kurt
Agreed the learning experience is priceless you are that much wiser ! You actually were there..What happened to you is what I call "getting lost in the sauce" On the other hand doing a full qtr will be much easier ,,I do commend you for the attempt & the fact your willing to remove the prior work & do it over...Been there done that too.

Agreed the learning experience is priceless you are that much wiser ! You actually were there..What happened to you is what I call "getting lost in the sauce" On the other hand doing a full qtr will be much easier ,,I do commend you for the attempt & the fact your willing to remove the prior work & do it over...Been there done that too.
Technically, I still am there - if I can locate a donor to rip off the entire fender from the wheelwell edge back. At least I could align it from the end cap FIRST.

Yet, I don't like the way the repop sits at all to begin with, so...

-Kurt

Precisely what I just found out from the one source that had one. No quarter anymore.

Oh well, clears me up for buying a Canon L-series lens for my 5D :D

-Kurt

Latest posts

Back