D0AE-N heads. Curiosity Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Just a quick curiosity question on a 'pair' of 351C N heads I picked up recently. I picked them up because they had already been machined for studs and have push rod guides. One heads has just a 4 on it, the other has nothing. The one with the 4 has a date code of 9K16 (October) while the other has a date code of 9H1 (August).

These appear to be early 11:1 heads according to Mustangtek with 62.8cc chambers, so the question is; does anyone know for sure when Ford started using the 4 on the casting to identify it as a closed chamber head? Could the fact that one has the 4 and the other doesn't just be a casting anomaly as there are differences in the size, style and placement of the casting number and date code between the two heads. I have no idea if these heads came off the same engine, but they are only a couple of months apart. The GA 4* heads on my 71 351C are definitely original to the block and they are also 2 months apart.

Anyone throw any light on this "Curiosity" question!!

Geoff.

I had a 70 Mach 1 351c 4v with shaker when I was a kid. The car appeared to be original just a total rust bucket. When I parted the car out I kept the motor and had it built for my 71 Grande. During the engine tear down I notice the left head had a 4 and the right head was blank. I do believe the engine was never apart. If I remember correctly it was a early 1970.

I had a 70 Mach 1 351c 4v with shaker when I was a kid. The car appeared to be original just a total rust bucket. When I parted the car out I kept the motor and had it built for my 71 Grandé. During the engine tear down I notice the left head had a 4 and the right head was blank. I do believe the engine was never apart. If I remember correctly it was a early 1970.
Thank you too for your reply. This is interesting that there are others out there with one head having the '4' and the other blank. I've not personally put heads on a block (yet), but I do believe they are the same, no left or right, so I can't be sure if the 4 is on the left head.

As we've all said before, Ford did weird things back in the day, so who knows for sure.

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back