Dakota Digital

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrasneb

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
I ordered a set of Dakota Digital gauges that have the operational gauges integrated into the speedo and tach.
this leaves the 3 operational gauges currently in the center bezel as duds. Any suggestions on what to do there?
im trying to keep this looking as original as possible without a something like a double din lcd display radio.
thoughts

I’m in the same boat and want to see what others say! I guess we could replace the center dash insert for one that doesn’t have a gauge package?

You can run dual sending units for water temp and oil pressure. At least then your center gauges aren't duds.

I thought about that but didnt know if the sensors at the source were the same (IE: oil sender at block, will analog and digital read the same sensor)

It would probably read the same sender/sensor, but you might have feedback or accuracy issues. You should put in a "T" and run separate senders if you want both gauges. You could also use the center gauges for transmission oil temperature, air/fuel mixture and fuel pressure, just to use up the space.

For the oil sender, I used a tee. Screw the tee in the block, and now you can screw in 2 completely separate sending units. You can mix and match whatever style you want.

For the water temp, I use the 1974 351M style water neck. It adds 2 threaded ports directly above the thermostat. You can use one of those to add the sending unit for the center gauge. It wont really show anything until the thermostat opens, so not great for while the car is warming up. But good after that.

I did have an issue with the thermostat housing and clearing a big billet distributor. It clears a stock one easily.

I like the idea of using The space for other gauges but having swapped to a proper transmission I wont need the trans gauge! 😬😀

I'm considering going with Dakota gauges as well at some point and assumed I'd keep them working like stock gauges. Also thought about making some kind of indicators if I can do it cleanly, like something that let's me know the electric fans are running, Fuel pressure would be neat or AFR info from the EFI. Or ....

1696274247775.png
(obviously that's a joke)

Back