Delay Steering input

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT-69

Reaction score
My Car
All 65 to 73
Took the 73 convertible for its first spin around the block. I have not checked for worn parts yet however the steering response has about 2 second delay from actual steering input. Turn the wheel nothing happens at first then what seems like a couple seconds later it reacts. Did mach 1's have quicker ratio than standard mustangs? Car is a real dog steering and power wise (351-C 2V). Huge disappointment definitely no "muscle" going on with this machine.....yet.

OK what I am seeing is to use good MOOG OEM products, rag joint, idler, upper and lower spindle and tie rod bushings. Send the PS unit to Lee manufacturing in CA to rebuild, upgrade and add a Vette 12:1 ratio.

How many miles on the car?

I would find a friend to sit in the car and gently turn the wheel. Work from the steering wheel out to the tires. Get a light and look at the system as the wheel is being turned. Check the rag joint, then steering box, then the pitman arm/ idler arm, then the tie rods. You have worn components somewhere....

100,000 + I assume. It shows 45K however judging by overall appearance and interior wear I am certain its been turned over at least once.

The steering box internals could be getting loose, you could try tightening the allen bolt adjustment screw inward a little at a time to see if it helps (no more than 1/16 of a turn at a time). This will not help if the idler/pitman or other steering components are worn out though. Tightening up the steering box did help alot on my car with the delayed steering.

Sounds like the steering gear box is worn out at least and probably the idler arm as well.

I'd follow the advice to have someone turn the wheel and watch what's not moving underneath. If it's the rag joint (aka steering coupler) then I'd replace that immediately so you don't end up hitting a tree.

-KR

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not sure what you are looking for, I suggest a front suspension inspection by a professional alignment shop. They will evaluate the condition of the bushings, ball joints, steering components, etc and give you a good idea on where to start. A good shop will usually evaluate these components before any alignment is performed because they will not allow an alignment to hold a spec.

This doesn't sound exactly the same, but I had a similar problem once. The rag joint had a tear. Any time you changed the direction of input it would take an extra half rotation of the upper components before it would begin to actually turn the lower components. It wasn't really a delay though, it just didn't do anything until you completed the extra rotation.

Back