Determine Value of 1973 Mach 1 With a 351M (Actually a 351C!)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be simple minded but I thought an easy way to tell a 351c vs 351w is that the 351c has 8 bolts holding down the valve cover and the Windsor 6?? I count 8 on the OP's engine.

Example: 351c valve cover: https://www.npdlink.com/product/valve-cover/185595?backurl=search/products?search_terms=valve%2Bcover&top_parent=200001&year=

351w valve cover: https://www.npdlink.com/product/valve-covers-finned-aluminum-closed-letter-cobra-powered-by-ford-black-wrinkle-finish/158924?backurl=search/products?search_terms=valve%2Bcover&top_parent=200001&year=

Working ram air? Have you seen the flaps open and close?

Your car does not look that bad, it runs and drives and does not appear to have any serious rust. While it lacks a lot of desirable options it does have Ram Air and a fold down which are great ones.

I'm in MI and would expect it to be priced around $25k here.

Oh, and it is a great color combo!

Good luck!
Thank you I appreciate it! I just ordered a Marti report out of curiosity and I figured it would be nice to have anyway.

I may be simple minded but I thought an easy way to tell a 351c vs 351w is that the 351c has 8 bolts holding down the valve cover and the Windsor 6?? I count 8 on the OP's engine.

Example: 351c valve cover: https://www.npdlink.com/product/valve-cover/185595?backurl=search/products?search_terms=valve%2Bcover&top_parent=200001&year=

351w valve cover: https://www.npdlink.com/product/valve-covers-finned-aluminum-closed-letter-cobra-powered-by-ford-black-wrinkle-finish/158924?backurl=search/products?search_terms=valve%2Bcover&top_parent=200001&year=

Working ram air? Have you seen the flaps open and close?
To be fair I've never gotten on the hood while opening it up. Everything is there and hooked up. A mechanic that I took it to and asked if he could verify it was working told me everything is hooked up correctly and he saw no reason why it shouldn't work. I suppose I could throw a go-pro on it but I probably won't. If a potential buyer insisted I'm sure we could figure out a way to check.

The fuel pump also has vertical bolt mounts on a Cleveland which mine does. I hadn't heard the valve cover bolt thing yet but good to know.

If the ram air flaps close when the engine is running (and vacuum is approx 12" or more) they work. When engine is shut down, the flaps will open and remain open. Revving the engine while in park typically does not lower vacuum enough to open the flaps any significant amount. When the engine is under load and you go full throttle, that lowers the vacuum enough to open the flaps for a short duration (until the engine vacuum recovers enough to close them).

Probably the only safe way of observing the function in real time would be with the car strapped into a dyno.

If the ram air flaps close when the engine is running (and vacuum is approx 12" or more) they work. When engine is shut down, the flaps will open and remain open. Revving the engine while in park typically does not lower vacuum enough to open the flaps any significant amount. When the engine is under load and you go full throttle, that lowers the vacuum enough to open the flaps for a short duration (until the engine vacuum recovers enough to close them).

Probably the only safe way of observing the function in real time would be with the car strapped into a dyno.
Or use a handheld vacuum pump. Thats what I use to test and adjust the vaccuum advance on my distributor.

I believe that's the case with mine. The car is a pain to move out of my garage but next time I have it out I'll remember to check it. I do remember this now that I see it mentioned.

the actuators tend to die with age.
Yes, I had one of them that went bad (I don't recall how I knew). I still have the original one that went bad. I found something online about how to make a new one using two from another application or something. I know I had to take them apart. It's been years ago and I don't remember the details. I probably found the how-to on here.

Well, I just got my marti. I'm guessing it did not originally come with Ram Air but it all appears factory to me. I suppose at the time maybe it is something that could have easily been added a few years later. New or parts from a wrecked car. I'll post my Marti over on that forum if anyone is interested or go here.

Back