Disc Brake Squeal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Black w/silver stripes. 4R70W transmission, cleveland 4V, PS, PDB, Tilt, A/C, Folddown, Ram Air, Back up Camera with OAT, IAT, and compass etc....
Hello to all, I'm new to this forum. Here is my first question. Am putting the finishing touches on a 4 year restoration of a 71 Mach 1 - every part in the front end is new including pads. First 150 miles and the pads squeal like a pig - totally unacceptable. What Brand and part #, if possible, do you guys like to use that is quiet? I used to own one of these back in the days and don't remember this as a problem - maybe an occasional small noise here and there but my current one is EVERY stop, light braking, big time noise. Hard braking no noise. The brand I used is: EBC Ultimax UD-34. So far I'd give them a horrible rating. So again, any suggestions??? Thanks Much.

Hello Flyin' Black Stallion,

According to the Squeaky Brakes Technical Doc., one needs to drive 300 to 500 miles first. Looks like you are half way. Not sure if it is required, there is anti-squeal gel that one can put on the backside of the brake pads before install?

According to the technical Document for Squeaky Brakes,

Squeaky brakes often occur in early use of the car and in most cases if the rotors are not badly worn or scored the noise will stop within 300-500 miles.

If you still have squeaky brakes after this 1000 miles it is because the pads have still not bedded in properly and the condition of your rotors is so bad they are clearly in need of replacement or turning.

Source: http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/squeaky-brakes/

Thank You,

mustang7173 :cool:

Welcome from Arkansas. When you get a chance post an introduction and some pics of your car. I like wagner brand myself always had good luck with them.

can you take a picture of how your caliper is assembled, there are anti sqeak clips and a re-enforcement plate. sometimes brake kits don't come with those parts and people don't know what they are or where they go.

there is also a cork gasket isolator that is always missing on our cars that goes between the spindle and the brake dirt shield that can lead to some weird noises.

also there is anti squeak grease that is suppose to go into the boots and allow the caliper to slide easier.

i have to see if i have better brake caliper photos somewhere.

100_1307.jpg

the metal hoop on the caliber was listed as an anti squeak retainer also.

100_1309.jpg

there is also a re-enforcement bracket

sorry for the crappy photo here: See the one shiny piece in the photo on the back of the spindle? that is the re-enforcement plate that is always missing on our cars. when i first got my car i did a brake job and that was one of the first pieces i fixed. 4 years later i tore the entire front end apart for a rebuild

DSC06821.jpg

this is from when i made my own cork gaskets

100_1243.jpg

100_1259.jpg

100_1260.jpg

100_1262.jpg

Hey every little bit helps maybe you will spot something

Thanks guys for your responses, especially 72HCode and your pics! I do remember adding the cork gasket to backing plate, and do have the hold down clips and all - I'll do some brake seating maneuvers, let it cool, and put some more miles on her and let you know. Maybe I'm just being a little impatient. In looking at the photos, one thing did jog my memory and that is that the pads I used did come with some anti-squeal shims for the back of the pads. I recall that they would not fit - as in piston compressed all the way in the caliper and just wouldn't fit. I put a micrometer on the pads (with shims) and rotor assembly, and compared that measurement with the inside of the caliper dimension and, well, now you know why the shims came off. Maybe after a 1000 miles or so there will be enough wear to put these shims back on and it may be the ticket!

Thanks again

Thanks guys for your responses, especially 72HCode and your pics! I do remember adding the cork gasket to backing plate, and do have the hold down clips and all - I'll do some brake seating maneuvers, let it cool, and put some more miles on her and let you know. Maybe I'm just being a little impatient. In looking at the photos, one thing did jog my memory and that is that the pads I used did come with some anti-squeal shims for the back of the pads. I recall that they would not fit - as in piston compressed all the way in the caliper and just wouldn't fit. I put a micrometer on the pads (with shims) and rotor assembly, and compared that measurement with the inside of the caliper dimension and, well, now you know why the shims came off. Maybe after a 1000 miles or so there will be enough wear to put these shims back on and it may be the ticket!

Thanks again
WAIT! There have been a lot of good points raised, but I use Green EBC pads and do not have any squeal whatsoever. Shims? I am not aware the 71- 73 brake system ever used shims....

Cork gasket and all that is about the wheel assembly, not braking capability.

What condition are the disc's?

Sometimes the missing gasket causes a spacing issue and you get rubbing that you think is brake squeak when you make a sharp left or right turn. Everything flexes and the noise pops up.

I know some people file the ends of the brake pad with a bevel to prevent squeal as well.

The original pads don't use a spacer but after market pads may require it. The extra center pressure may bow the pad as the pistion compresses it feathering the ends of the pad and stopping squeal. This is the same trick when you bevel the ends of the pad. Some guys take off material at a 45 degree angle on the pad ends.

Food for thought... If you can fit the spacer in now I would try it, maybe there is excess play now causing the squeal,, but then as it wears more the squeal will return.

The anti squeak grease may be a solution also.

Thanks again
WAIT! There have been a lot of good points raised, but I use Green EBC pads and do not have any squeal whatsoever. Shims? I am not aware the 71- 73 brake system ever used shims....

Cork gasket and all that is about the wheel assembly, not braking capability.

What condition are the disc's?

Latest posts

Back