Distributer drama

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasFastback

Reaction score
My Car
'72 fastback, 302, Fmx
So apparently despite everything I've read 302 and 351w distributers aren't interchangeable. I've been rebuilding an '89 351w and was planning on using a a duraspark system from a '86 302 when I goto test it. Well, I tried to install the dizzy tonight and the end that fits on the shaft for the oil pump is too small.

So apparently despite everything I've read 302 and 351w distributers aren't interchangeable. I've been rebuilding an '89 351w and was planning on using a a duraspark system from a '86 302 when I goto test it. Well, I tried to install the dizzy tonight and the end that fits on the shaft for the oil pump is too small.
Should get one of these sheets, via Dave Ray Small Body HEI:

edd07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Should get one of these sheets, via Dave Ray Small Body HEI:

edd07.jpg
That is a very handy sheet to have.

I'm using a late non roller (bronze gear iirc) Bronco 5.8 distributor in mine with a Crane box to fire it. That's odd that the sheet shows the same drive for 5.0/5.8 the late ones are not interchangeable for sure. Then again they don't list the length for the drive shaft.

Naw it's the 1/4 shaft size on the 302 vs the 5/16 on the 351W Which oil pump did you install. Whichever just use the different distributer with the right gear. The 302 is my choice because of the diameter of the distibuter at the block mating point.

Considering the deck height is taller on the 351, are you surprised? If you're using a hydraulic roller cam, just pick up a distributer from a '95 ford pickup. They're cheap and work great.

Considering the deck height is taller on the 351, are you surprised? If you're using a hydraulic roller cam, just pick up a distributer from a '95 ford pickup. They're cheap and work great.
If you go the boneyard route, trucks/vans are good source because they did not get EFI engines until a decade or so later after passenger cars. Can't use the distributor from an EFI engine...and even later there is no distributor.

In my mind, however, regardless of what distributor you get, you need to make sure the centrifugal advance and vacuum advance are properly set for your car. Settings such as:

1. At what RPM does the centrifugal advance begin to take affect.

2. What is the relationship between the vacuum and the timing advance of the vacuum advance?

3. At what RPM is the advance set to its maximum.

4. What is the vacuum advance maximum.

I do have the specification tables for the 73 Mustang, but I don't know if they include the distributor. The tables were in a supplement to the shop service manual. I will try to post it this weekend(or after a prodding Monday).

So, if you do get a distributor in their, whether boneyard or your local auto parts store, don't expect it to work as well as it COULD. I can GUARANTEE you it was not set for your specific application. It was meant to FIT and that is about it.

I am sure there are plenty of opinions regarding the 4 settings I mentioned above...just as there are plenty of opinions regarding carb jet sizing, carb CFM size requirements, blah blah blah. Makes you wonder how Nicolas Otto ever got his first 4 stroke engine started.

If you go the boneyard route, trucks/vans are good source because they did not get EFI engines until a decade or so later after passenger cars. Can't use the distributor from an EFI engine...and even later there is no distributor.

In my mind, however, regardless of what distributor you get, you need to make sure the centrifugal advance and vacuum advance are properly set for your car. Settings such as:

1. At what RPM does the centrifugal advance begin to take affect.

2. What is the relationship between the vacuum and the timing advance of the vacuum advance?

3. At what RPM is the advance set to its maximum.

4. What is the vacuum advance maximum.

I do have the specification tables for the 73 Mustang, but I don't know if they include the distributor. The tables were in a supplement to the shop service manual. I will try to post it this weekend(or after a prodding Monday).

So, if you do get a distributor in their, whether boneyard or your local auto parts store, don't expect it to work as well as it COULD. I can GUARANTEE you it was not set for your specific application. It was meant to FIT and that is about it.

I am sure there are plenty of opinions regarding the 4 settings I mentioned above...just as there are plenty of opinions regarding carb jet sizing, carb CFM size requirements, blah blah blah. Makes you wonder how Nicolas Otto ever got his first 4 stroke engine started.
The distrubuter is only meant to work. I rebuild a 351 and need to run it on my engine test stand before I can sell it. I have the stock distributer but I'm not using it because the engine was originally EFI and I don't want that much junk hanging off my stand. I'm just going to have to hit the junk yards and hope some distributers are intact. We have some big yard but some jerks go through and trash the carbs and distributers for some reason.

Back