Distributor tag number?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
The distributor vacuum advance went bad and I am going to replace it. I bought a new one and the instructions say you have to adjust it before installation. You need to know the dist. tag number in order to know how many turns to adjust it. Where would I find that number? It is a 71 351C 4V with electronic ignition .

Thanks.

The distributor vacuum advance went bad and I am going to replace it. I bought a new one and the instructions say you have to adjust it before installation. You need to know the dist. tag number in order to know how many turns to adjust it. Where would I find that number? It is a 71 351C 4V with electronic ignition .

Thanks.
I later learned from a site member that the best way to adjust it is figure out what your manifold vacuum is and using a vacuum pump on the dist.vacuum advance set it so it moves a little higher than your idle vacuum.

We mounted the advance mechanism and pulled a vacuum until the distributor moved, then set it to where we wanted the movement to start.

You need an Allen wrench and the adjustment only took about one full turn. The numbers you get off the chart when using the distributor tag

as a reference are only estimates anyway. They have no way of knowing the condition of your vacuum system or what manifold vacuum you

plan on using.

mike

Back