dual point distributors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want dual points then this guy has a dual point plate for your distributor it sells for $29.00.

www.428cobrajetcars.com

Andy

I recall Ford offered a kit to replace any V8 single point setup with dual points. It is just a plate and a couple of sets of points. The distrubtor remains the same. Dual points were for above about 4500 RPM... made no difference below that.

Quality control in the 70's wasnt very good not every car that should have something did have something.

Unless you looking to be 100% concurs correct I would go with an electronic set up,(first thing I change on cars that dont have it) there are several that are undetectable without lifting the cap.

I have never heard of a "dual point" pertionix setup.. that does not make sense to me.

The breaker plate is different for dual points as opposed to single points. Therefore the attaching point for the pertronix pick up is different. Chuck

Just my .02. My 73 "Q" code came stock with the single point distributor.

When Mallory offered the Unilite kit to fit this distributor in 1976,I bought it and installed it in the factory distributor housing.It looked bone stock! You did not know it was there.I think it was the easiest install, about 1/2 hour, and the differance was instantanious! Start up was instant,seat of the pants feel was instant! The best most reliable thing I had done for this car to this point.I never have looked back! I am running a unilite distributor now.

Go with the Petronix or a Unilite kit if you are going to keep the stock look. You WILL be glad you did, I promise!

Go with the Petronix or a Unilite kit if you are going to keep the stock look. You WILL be glad you did, I promise!
X2!

They fit like points so you can swap back if you want to. Points arc every time they fire and end up with carbon scoring causing loss of signal over time. The Pertronix is a magnetic pickup so it will go and go.

Back