Electrical

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2001 Cobra convertible. 1971 Mach 1 351 C 4V 4 speed
I unhooked everything under the hood in preparation for detailing and other work. I'm pulling the Under hood wiring back into the drivers side of the car through the grommet opening. Is this the prescribed method or is there some trick to this that I'm missing. I apologize for not putting this in the electrical section but not sure how to move it now. I'll do better in the future.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am understanding your post, yes, so far you are on track for proper removal. The grommet was actually designed to come out towards the engine side of the firewall, not be pushed into the interior. The design of the grommet itself dictates this method. To remove the entire engine harness, you will have to unhook the master plug end for this harness from the fuse box under the dash and then it gets pushed through back into the engine compartment. You will have to work from underneath the dash to push it out. I guess you might be able to do it the other way, but I would first push the grommet out towards the engine (remove from firewall) and once out, you can probably push it (work it) back through the other way. Hope this was the intent of your question.

Last edited:
If I am understanding your post, yes, so far you are on track for proper removal. The grommet was actually designed to come out towards the engine side of the firewall, not be pushed into the interior. The design of the grommet itself dictates this method. To remove the entire engine harness, you will have to unhook the master plug end for this harness from the fuse box under the dash and then it gets pushed through back into the engine compartment. You will have to work from underneath the dash to push it out. I guess you might be able to do it the other way, but I would first push the grommet out towards the engine (remove from firewall) and once out, you can probably push it (work it) back through the other way. Hope this was the intent of your question.
Thanks Pastel Blue. I tried to push the grommet both ways. It pushed back into the car easier than into the engine compartment. I unbolted the fuse block but didn't see a way to unplug the engine harness. The steering column and dash is still in the car, which may impede doing it the other way. Pulling it backward into the car seemed the easier course of action, given that my objective was to clear the engine compartment for detailing and pulling the frame a bit.

Dave

There are two capture locking tabs on the back side of the green fusebox connector that keeps the two halves together, along with the bolt. Yes, the engine harness is removed from the passenger compartment out into the engine compartment.

Thanks Pastel Blue and Midlife. I came home early due to weather and took my block to be checked. Then I went back to the harness. Once I removed half the dash it all became clear. Had to use a heat gun to soften the grommet so I could pull everything back through the firewall. After that it was easy.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back