End of THE Era

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNL62

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande, 351C 2BBL, FMX, A/C, AM/FM/8 Track
Wondering if anyone knows when the 73 MY production stopped and they began 74 Mustang II production?

Just picked up my 5th Mustang (2nd '73). It's a Grande built 3/73. I know that's near the end but I'm trying to figure out how close.

Slide Show of Fresh Purchase

run a marti report on it if you have not yet.

http://www.martiauto.com/

I guess the unit number from the vin would help see how close to the end you are.

there were 134,867 total 73 mustangs made

Hardtop - 51,480

Fastback (Sportsroof) - 10,820

Convertible - 11,853

Hardtop Grande - 25,274

Fastback (Sportsroof) Mach 1 - 35,440

run a marti report on it if you have not yet.

http://www.martiauto.com/

I guess the unit number from the vin would help see how close to the end you are.
It's 202924...but...the '73 was built in 2 plants. Marti will help w/the car info, but I'm trying to find either the '73 STOP date or '74 START.

I know usually it's about April time from but I read recently that the Mustang II started selling in April 73 as a 74 model.

Trying to find someone that might have some good source document/info.

I doubt it's the "last one"...but would be nice to know how close.

While I cannot help you with the "Stop" date for the production of 1973 Mustangs, I can attest to at least 41,900 being built after yours as I have a '73 Grande #244824.

According to the Marti Report, it was built on May 29, 1973. Based on the numbers built for 1973, there should be nearly 10,000 more built after mine was built.

Keep in mind that the serial numbers begin with 100001.

Additionally, according to my source documents, the Mustang IIs were not released until the Fall of 1973.

Hope this helps!

BT

While I cannot help you with the "Stop" date for the production of 1973 Mustangs, I can attest to at least 41,900 being built after yours as I have a '73 Grande #244824.

According to the Marti Report, it was built on May 29, 1973. Based on the numbers built for 1973, there should be nearly 10,000 more built after mine was built.

Keep in mind that the serial numbers begin with 100001.

Additionally, according to my source documents, the Mustang IIs were not released until the Fall of 1973.

Hope this helps!

BT
Actually...it does help. The unfortunate thing was the sequence numbers were base on plant production, NOT model...but it does help. Thank you.

i was going to say the same with the consecutive numbers its different between both plants.

i looked and you can't even find info on the very last 73 car produced, i would of thought it famous but no info exists

you would need the last numbers from both plants to figure out how far back your car is.

the only thing i found was August 73 they claim the 74s were introduced.

i was going to say the same with the consecutive numbers its different between both plants.

i looked and you can't even find info on the very last 73 car produced, i would of thought it famous but no info exists

you would need the last numbers from both plants to figure out how far back your car is.
Agreed and then it would be just in line w/all that were built, Cougars, Mavericks, Torinos, etc.

But knowing production was at least through the end of May gets me closer to the "whole" answer. Thanks for input...guess we'll leave this as a "To Be Continued" episode!

Steve

My mach 1 is 253468 and the fastback is 165947 both are 73's.
I plan to order the Marti Report AND an Eminger Invoice...BTW...prices for the Invoices will go up Sep 10th.

The car is being delivered to its temporary home in Ohio, as I'm writing this. I'm in Afghanistan, so it will be a while before I see it in person.

There's little I don't know about Mustangs...been part of my family off/on since 1966. But, I guess that's the "fun" part...trying to always find out more???

Thanks for all of the replies.

MB,

Do you have the date your Mach I (253468) was built?

Since that VIN is the @8644 unit (mustang) built after my Grande which was built on May 29, 2010, it should give Steve (and us) a much better idea as to when the last one was built. By my math, there was @1000 mustangs built after yours.

BT

MB,

Unless you have the Marti Report or some other documentation, you probably do not have the "build" date. However, if you look inside the Driver's side door, there should be a sticker (probably Blue in color) that has the information relative to your car.

On the tag, there should be a portion labelled "Date" and under that should be a three digit which indicates the day and the month your car was assembled.

The first two digits are the date of the month and the third digit is a letter (A - Z, minus I{India} and O {Oscar}). A - M would be January - December of the model year and N - Z would be January - December of the following year for production that extended through the next year. For example: 12K would be 12 October.

Hope this helps.

BT

MB,

Unless you have the Marti Report or some other documentation, you probably do not have the "build" date. However, if you look inside the Driver's side door, there should be a sticker (probably Blue in color) that has the information relative to your car.

On the tag, there should be a portion labelled "Date" and under that should be a three digit which indicates the day and the month your car was assembled.

The first two digits are the date of the month and the third digit is a letter (A - Z, minus I{India} and O {Oscar}). A - M would be January - December of the model year and N - Z would be January - December of the following year for production that extended through the next year. For example: 12K would be 12 October.

Hope this helps.

BT
The later years just had month/year. Marti is the only way, that I know of, to find out day...unlike the earlier 'Stangs.

My mach says 6/73 on the green tag. MB
Well, June does get us closer to the date. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back