Engine bay paint.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Eastwood's 2K ceramic under hood black semi gloss paint. It does have some texture, but it is standing up very well and cleans surprisingly easy. It is a bit expensive being 2K, so once you activate it, it has to be used withing 24 hours if I remember.
EDIT: Mine could have been "satin black" also, not sure as it was back in 2016 when I did it.

Last edited:
I used the Eastwood 2K ceramic also but I use the satin finish but only for the aprons and firewall. I used the Dupli-color ceramic engine on everything else engine, brackets pulleys steering gear, shocks pretty much everything. I keep cans on hand in almost every color. I have used it on four different cars and it holds up really well. I also prefer that you can spray what ever amount you want and put it back in the cabinet. The Eastwood 2X doesn't last long once you activate the hardener so it takes a little more pre-planning to make sure you have enough to paint. It's too expensive to waste. I have had luck putting it in my garage refrigerator and it can last about 24 hours that way. In the pictures the engine compartment is painted with the Eastwood 2X and everything else is painted with Dupli-color ceramic engine

Attachments

• Mach 1 217b.jpg
    Mach 1 217b.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 19
That semi-gloss engine paint is my new favorite. Flows well, dries quick, has a great sheen.

I did the engine bay on my 71 with gloss black enamel with a catalyst and a flattening agent mixed to the "eggshell" recipe. It's held up extremely well for the last nearly twenty years.

Today, I'd used a pre-flattened single stage catalyzed urethane.

I went for big guns as we could drown in air humidity sometimes over here: on acid cleaned metal, 2k epoxy primer for marine industry sprayed at 2.5 bars. 1.8 nozzle/fine water sanding, 2k wetOnWet primer/1.4nozzle/fine water sanding, 2k semi gloss black chassis paint at 2.2 bars/1.4nozzle for a nice mist and silky smooth result. Should stay corrosion free for a while.

Jason-

I have used what you are holding in your hand on a number of vehicles with good results>

Duplicolor Semi Gloss Black Engine Paint.

Just make sure you prep the surface well.
Thanks Chris, and everyone else. I’m sure the Eastwood stuff is nice, but I’m not looking to go nuts and do a fantastic job right not…just planning on touching up a bit more under the hood. Wanted to make sure the Duplicate-color I had wasn’t complete garbage. Gotta run back to NAPA when some parts arrive this afternoon, I’ll grab a can or two of that stuff.

Back