Engine building mistakes article

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their odd rational specs seem a bit off but that could be some "software based" error. Other than that, it seems to be a very good article.

I agree, it's a good article for the first-time builder as well as a good refresher for those with more experience. They definitely have a word-processor problem for numbers and slashes, apparently wasn't proofread by a mechanically aware person.

I agree, it's a good article for the first-time builder as well as a good refresher for those with more experience. They definitely have a word-processor problem for numbers and slashes, apparently wasn't proofread by a mechanically aware person.
There is SO much of that going around these days in all aspects of the printed word... especially as everybody gets lazier and more dependent on editor embedded spelling and grammar checkers.

I think it's a good article, overall. I do take exception to this statement: "And remember, you should be able to turn a crankshaft using two fingers with all eight pistons and rods installed." A statement like this should be qualified with what is between the two fingers and the crankshaft.

...yeah Don, I saw a few of those strange fractions....11/42 inch breaker bar? The other one that stands out is the min clearance between oil pan and pick up....31/48-inch. Obviously a typo.

I think it's a good article, overall. I do take exception to this statement: "And remember, you should be able to turn a crankshaft using two fingers with all eight pistons and rods installed." A statement like this should be qualified with what is between the two fingers and the crankshaft.
I saw that, too, and wondered the same thing, certainly not by gripping either end of the crankshaft (without some additional leverage).

Latest posts

Back