Engine paint color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey eric atleast it isn't ORANGE!!! lollerz
I agree you do what you like. I am not ever going to try to do a MCA rules show car did that in the 80's and I was not good at kissing you know what. So my engine is what I want and so is the car.

Them all being alike sounds sort of communist doesn't it?

DSC_2013.JPG

While Corporate Blue is correct, it's all a matter of opinion when it comes to what "looks" best.

Sorry - but even though "Old Ford Blue" isn't correct, I like it a LOT better. :cool:
The lighter blue is correct for 71 - 72, only 73 gets the corporate blue unless I am mistaken.
I thought 71-73 was the same engine color code. What would be correct for 1971? I think I painted mine the wrong color :chin:

I am not 100% sure myself. I thought they changed the color in 73 but I have been wrong many times before. They changed it so many times on the Fords it is hard to keep up. I might spend some time and see what I can find.

David

Ok guys and gals did a quick search and found a pretty good source with pictures going through the mustang colors.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-0308-select-correct-vintage-mustang-engine-paint/

I have not finished going through it but do the thing with the link and it has what looks to be good info with lots of pictures.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
The lighter blue is correct for 71 - 72, only 73 gets the corporate blue unless I am mistaken.
Yeah... that's not what I heard when I first painted it - trust me. :shootself:

Umm, it was orange when he first painted it. I'm so glad I talked him out of doing something "different" so his engine would stand out at the car shows.

Eric engine orange.png

Yeah... that's not what I heard when I first painted it - trust me. :shootself:

Close to 56 ford red, lol but probably from the dark side.

The link I put in previous part of this chain has pictures of the correct colors for all engines all years and 71 - 73 was Ford Corporate Blue Dupli-Color #DE 1606 Ford Dark Blue.

Been doing some more detailing today going to do some phosphate tomorrow if it doesn't rain have to heat the solution outside.

David

Umm, it was orange when he first painted it. I'm so glad I talked him out of doing something "different" so his engine would stand out at the car shows.

Aww... look who found the "Magic Wand" and "Color Replacement Tools" in Photoshop. They grow up so quick... bless his heart. :coolphotos: :happyno:

image.jpgAny help to match engine paint color. I have tried Plastikote 224. Duplicolor de1606 and 1621. Just does not seem to match the little paint I have a left on the block. I have noticed the air cleaner is lighter and more blue than the block.

I have 72 with 351c. I am replacing the timing chain so I wanted to clean up and paint the parts going back in. I believe it has not been painted. It's a driver but I would like to get it right. I have no experience with a sprayer so I have been using the rattle cans. Maybe the cans are too old or I did not shake them enough, none of them look right maybe it's time for a sprayer. I have the two duplicolors on the timing cover. Plastikote looked real close too. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks

POR 15 makes a Ford corporate blue engine enamel that is about the best I've found. Make sure you thin it a bit before you spray it. Did a buddy's 428ci, 1966 T-bird with it and it was a spot on match. Being an enamel, its also just like how Ford did it originally.

http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEPA/
They even have a company branch based here in the U.K.http://www.por15.co.uk/

That makes life so much easier for us Brits but also for all Europeans as all purchases throughout Europe is tariff/tax free

When I recently had to do a second engine rebuild, my shop guy had used Plasticote Ford Dark Blue before, but I felt this was too light. NPD have a rattle can paint (AP-EB) they claim is the correct color. A local PPG supplier said he could match it, but it would be a gun paint, not in a can. That makes for hard touch-ups. I decided to go with Duplicolr 1606 as it was that bit darker. I had good experience with Duplicolor paints in my 'working days', so I was confident it would give me an original look, but not necessarily correct. However, I did experience a marked difference in paint lots that surprised me. The shop guy used paint I supplied for the block. I painted other parts at home with cans bought from a different store, only to find they were waaay different even though the same number. I had to go get paint form the first store and that matched perfectly. I had NEVER experienced a mismatch with Duplicolor paints before.

Here's pictures of my finished motor. It actually is darker than the pic shows due to lighting.

Did you paint those struts running from the shock towers in Grey or is it the light?
Steve, ALL the appropriate parts are painted "Slop Grey" , Braces, parts of the light buckets and hood latch bracket. NPD sell it in a can. Slop Grey was actually a mix of anything left over on the paint line. There is no definite color. It's like a dark grey. You could mix it yourself.

Perhaps I'll do a separate post about my detailing.

Very nice detailing. Looks as good as I've ever seen at National level shows.
Thanks Bill.

When it comes to engine bay detailing, it's as diverse as choice of engine dress-up parts. Some like lots of chrome and trick parts, others like me like the factory original "look" without the concours expense.

I may do a post on my detailing if there is interest.

I sampled several different rattle cans and settled on POR-15 corporate blue. image.jpg

Back