engine/trans id numbers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
i pulled engine/trans yesterday. the id tag on the intake is gone.. i do have a number on the top upper,rear part of block. "1A299513" does that mean anything to anyone ? or where do i find a better number on engine and the trans to id them better.

i pulled engine/trans yesterday. the id tag on the intake is gone.. i do have a number on the top upper,rear part of block. "1A299513" does that mean anything to anyone ? or where do i find a better number on engine and the trans to id them better.
When I checked your info looks like you have a 73. I do not think Ford put the aluminum tag on the 73 models. There should be a partial VIN# stamped just below the R.H. rear of the cylinder head on the top edge of the block. All of the castings should have part numbers and casting date codes. If you have an automatic transmission the partial VIN will be stamped in it also. If manual it has a tag and the partial VIN is also stamped in the case. Here is a link to the best source I have located for Ford numbers. http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

You will see the index on the left of the page. Has info for all types of Ford casting and stamping numbers. When you go into one of the lists click on the pictures and it will give you locations.

If there is no partial VIN on your engine block then it is a Service Replacement. Many engines got blown over the years and replaced with one from junk yard, rebuilder or the Ford dealer.

That number is a partial VIN- 1 is the MY, A is the assembly plant, the rest is the consecutive unit portion of the VIN.

IIRC, that number makes it a 71 Torino block....

mjlan is correct on the partial vin. 1A is a 1971 Atlanta built vehicle. I sure hated it when I heard Ford was closing that plant. I had a 70 Torino GT and three Gran Torino Sport's that were assembled there. All well built cars.

David the metal tag to paper transition was officially listed as 2/1/73. It was a corporate change for all US plants. With the sheer number of vehicles involved there was a lot of variance in what you saw on the actual vehicle builds as the plants worked down old stock of engines.

delawarebill, not sure what engine/transmission you have, but the Mustang Tek site David listed is an excellent reference source as far checking ID/Vin numbers and where they can be found. I have found that 99.9% of their info is spot on. Anything that was incorrect was minor and easily checked against other sources.

cleaned off the engine and got "D10E-6015-AA"

so it turns out the motor was rebuilt , but who ever did it did a crappy job..

and with another engine installed...

'71 fairlane.. so much for matching numbers car.. i don't know what the AA means but not a big deal now.. tomorrow to machine shop.

delawarebill, sorry to hear your having troubles with someone else's hack engine job. For some reason Ford never had the 6015 on the blocks set up where they would cross to a Ford part number. A block with all the internal organs but no heads (short block) was a 6009, a bare block was 6010. Engineers told us the 6015 designation was for internal use only. The D1OE does indicate that the Fairlane/Torino engineer group was responsible for the release of that block. The AA just indicates the engineering design/revision level of the part. Normally the automatic transmission's had the first two and last six digits of your vin in the upper part of the bell housing area near where it bolted to the block.

Latest posts

Back