engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargis1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
351 clevland
Can someone tell me if the block is stamped anywhere to tell what it is

If you're talking about the VIN#, mine is a 71 351C, it's stamped just below the drivers side head on the backside of the engine (of course). If the engine is out no problem... viewing it if the engine is in the car is another thing. Some have been able to view it with a mirror and patience. I took a photo of mine with the engine in, using a flexible snake scope camera. Expect them be unevenly stamped, something like this.

Engine number.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be the VIN #. If you jack up the car (and please block it) on the passenger side of the block just below the head toward the rear, you'll find the number your looking for to tell you what block it is. Use a flashlight at an off angle and you can see it pretty easy. Good luck!

That would be the VIN #. If you jack up the car (and please block it) on the passenger side of the block just below the head toward the rear, you'll find the number your looking for to tell you what block it is. Use a flashlight at an off angle and you can see it pretty easy. Good luck!
Yep, I thought he was asking about the VIN location but reread it and he's asking how to identify the engine. That information is located as described above on the passenger side, mine looks like this:

engineID.jpg

Latest posts

Back