Estimate check

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
I'm at the end of my restoration with a talented restoration guy that I have spent over 15000 with. He has sent me one more estimate to wrap up the project. Can someone check this estimate & let me know if this is a fair estimate to wrap up my project. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Ok Frank overall the drive went well for first time out. Their is a few issues and a few things I would suggest we do.

Issues

1) Trans Shifting- Correcting linkage should take care of problem.

2) Engine lifter noise- I think some use may get this working right.

3) Car Lean- Changing front springs I think will fix this. (suggest 1" lower than stock)

4) Power Steering Issue- Pump maybe going bad (fluid very dirty)

5) Convertible- Motor is slow, maybe problematic. Suggest replacing motor.

6) Suspension- Worked well but replace all shocks, and replace bad ball joints or bushings as needed.

7) Brakes- Worked well but change pads if needed and replace rubber hoses.

8) Power steering belt interference. Hits lower hose. New hose should correct this.

Misc. Repairs

1) Charge A/C. (Subcontracted +/- 150 if it takes refrigerant r134).

2) Alignment and suspension lube. (Sub contracted +/-125)

Suggested Repairs/Changes.

1) Dash lights are very Dim- I like to customize to Leds.

2) Extend side stripe down to lower spoiler.

3) Black out under Grill (Rear pocket on bumper).

4) Change out differential fluid.

5) Convert to electronic ignition. (Brand Petronix is easiest most cost effective conversion)

Parts needed

1)Trans linkage (Dales, Edelbrock part #1483)

2) Visor Bushings (NPD #04115-1K x2)

3) Dash Leds (NPD#13464-4LK)

4) Front turn signal cracked (These are expensive maybe a good used one would be fine?)

5) Head light bezel mounting hardware.(NPD #13032-5A I think this is it.)

6) Front Springs (NPD# 5310-2A)and isolators (NPD #5415-2AA x4)

7) Petronix module (Dales)

8) Top Motor (Convertible Service 5126 Walnut Grove Ave San Gabriel, CA 91776)

9) Shocks (I think a good stock replacement would be fine, Oreillys).

All other Parts I can get locally.

Its going to take about two weeks to get all this done. For all repairs , running around, & upgrades I'll do for 2000 on labor.

Let me know tomorrow Oz

I'm no expert, I'm sure they'll be others who will chime in. That seems like quite a lengthy list that has to be addressed AFTER a 15000 hour restoration. Don't buy any parts at your local auto parts store until you check rockauto!! Good luck!

2000 in labor is more than fair for all that work..He left out doing the rear leaf springs..If your changing the front doing the suspension that should be done too at the same time.

I'm in agreement with Q and Imsa - that's a good price for the list of things to do. I get the impression he seems to be quite familiar with our 'old school' cars and what it takes to make them right.

On the vert top you want to check the fluid or even change it out. In my last vert the build coagulated and slowed the top way down.
Ill have him trouble shoot a few more times before he replaces. He said he toped off fluid. Its really slow, takes a long time to warm up and sometimes smokes.

On the vert top you want to check the fluid or even change it out. In my last vert the build coagulated and slowed the top way down.
Ill have him trouble shoot a few more times before he replaces. He said he toped off fluid. Its really slow, takes a long time to warm up and sometimes smokes.
That sound bad. I would probably replace it.

That sound bad. I would probably replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Issues

1) Trans Shifting- Correcting linkage should take care of problem. <--- Check / replace hardware and bushings

2) Engine lifter noise- I think some use may get this working right. <--- the proverbial, "blowing the cobs out". Use can lessen the noise because the lifters stay, "Pumped up". Ultimately, lifter noise indicates excess wear and will continue to just get worse.

3) Car Lean- Changing front springs I think will fix this. (suggest 1" lower than stock) <--- mmmm, I'd also have the frame alignment looked at especially on a vert. (OH! and/ or replace the spring saddles while your in there I've seen these worn nearly through before causing the car to "lean" and drive funky.)

4) Power Steering Issue- Pump maybe going bad (fluid very dirty) <--- What is the exact issue? Fluid may be getting dirty because the hoses are really old and deteriorating and/or are cheap replacements with the same issue.

5) Convertible- Motor is slow, maybe problematic. Suggest replacing motor. <---- AND thoroughly clean and lightly lube all pivot points despite their condition or use.

6) Suspension- Worked well but replace all shocks, and replace bad ball joints or bushings as needed. <--- as needed... pfft... If one or two are questionable dump them all. If your going stock it fairly inexpensive and avoids chasing gremlins in the future that just add to labor costs as they come. You can get the entire suspension and steering freshened up for under $350.00 and it's usually less on labor because you just dump it all fast, install the new and off to the alignment rack. BAM!

8) Power steering belt interference. Hits lower hose. New hose should correct this. <--- and possibly the dirty fluid issue.

just my 2 cents

Issues

1) Trans Shifting- Correcting linkage should take care of problem. <--- Check / replace hardware and bushings

2) Engine lifter noise- I think some use may get this working right. <--- the proverbial, "blowing the cobs out". Use can lessen the noise because the lifters stay, "Pumped up". Ultimately, lifter noise indicates excess wear and will continue to just get worse.

3) Car Lean- Changing front springs I think will fix this. (suggest 1" lower than stock) <--- mmmm, I'd also have the frame alignment looked at especially on a vert. (OH! and/ or replace the spring saddles while your in there I've seen these worn nearly through before causing the car to "lean" and drive funky.)

4) Power Steering Issue- Pump maybe going bad (fluid very dirty) <--- What is the exact issue? Fluid may be getting dirty because the hoses are really old and deteriorating and/or are cheap replacements with the same issue.

5) Convertible- Motor is slow, maybe problematic. Suggest replacing motor. <---- AND thoroughly clean and lightly lube all pivot points despite their condition or use.

6) Suspension- Worked well but replace all shocks, and replace bad ball joints or bushings as needed. <--- as needed... pfft... If one or two are questionable dump them all. If your going stock it fairly inexpensive and avoids chasing gremlins in the future that just add to labor costs as they come. You can get the entire suspension and steering freshened up for under $350.00 and it's usually less on labor because you just dump it all fast, install the new and off to the alignment rack. BAM!

8) Power steering belt interference. Hits lower hose. New hose should correct this. <--- and possibly the dirty fluid issue.

just my 2 cents
Thanks for taking the time to help guide me in the right direction.

Back