Exhaust kit choice - 351C 2V and Hooker Comp Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Time has come to order my new exhaust kit for my 72 Grande. I like the Flowmaster sound and I wanna go for Delta 50 series mufflers.

I just found this :

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=MF5259H99+01

I have installed Hooker Competition headers so this kit looks good to fit with. Anyway the kit is for 65-70 Mustangs so it will need some cut and bent work to fit right ? I have a rear sway bar but no staggered shocks ; it's not really a problem, I can go to an exhaust shop to have it done as some people here advised me to do.

What do you think ? Do I need additional pieces ?

I wanted to order a 2,5" pipe at first but I don't think it's really needed as I do not want to race with the Stang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because this one doesn't include Flowmaster Delta 50 series mufflers

I just changed my mind and want to order this :

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/Flowmaster-Mustang-Exhaust-Systems/745019/10002/-1

This is the Flowmaster American Thunder kit for 70 Mustangs. Will it fit ? It's a 2,5" pipe and Super 44 mufflers. I know I may have some tweaking/welding job with those as I have a rear sway bar and staggered shocks.

If you think it's not a good idea, please can you advise me on a good kit that looks solid ? ("cheap" do not look good IMO)

Pypes look and sound good, seems the right compromise :) Thanks !

Which mufflers to get ? Street Pros ? Violators ? Would be great to watch a video of this setup !

Here's a video

I personally like the sound of the Violator. You can go to their website or on youtube to hear what the different mufflers sound like.

Thanks ! Looks good :) Ready to order right now but can't decide between Street Pro and Violator mufflers ! I'm afraid of too much droning

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ! Looks good :) Ready to order right now but can't decide between Street Pro and Violator mufflers ! I'm afraid of too much droning
They used the StreetPro for this video and they claim to have no drone or interior resonance which still allows passengers to speak without yelling but yet there is still a powerful tone. Either model you choose, I think will be louder than FLowmasters. Also, if you like serious flow and insane sound, I recommend the Cherry Bomb Extremes. These mufflers are so loud that I can hear my neighbor a few blocks away LOL! Not for me, but if you like that kinda setup, then that's the way to go.

Thanks ! Too loud will be too much :D I loved those Violator youtube clips but it may be a bit too loud for simple cruising with the Mustang, the Street Pros will do the job fine I hope.

Flowmasters looked good and I love their sound. I wanted the classic 40s in the first place but there are no complete kits for 71 to 73 Stangs :( Pypes is a good compromise.

The Street Pro mufflers look really good and this kit matches my needs perfectly.

Let's go order !! I will OF COURSE post a video here once received and installed !

Problem is : I don't know if Pypes will be too loud or not, restrictions here in France are even a bit lower than in America..

Flowmasters seem a bit smoother and produce less db, so maybe it's the way to go ?

Do you think the American Thunder kit for 67-70 Mustangs will fit ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17281/

It looks a lot better than any other Flowmaster kit I came across.

I know that it may require a bit of work to fit at the beginning and the end of the pipe, but it's not really a problem, I can go to an exhaust shop.

I can't decide myself... :-/

Here's a moldy oldie thread I'd forgotten about.

Turns out, the Pypes system sound exactly like that on mine as well. ::thumb::

Man, I have got to get a new video of mine. :whistling:

Might not be 71-73 but here's a clip of my 69 vert during acceleration test so you can hear this exhaust system under load - 302 ci / AOD / 2 1/2" Magnaflow with Hedman shorty headers

Latest posts

Back