Fan belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
My 351C-2V has a single-groove water pump pulley that doesn't line up with the alternator/2nd groove on the crank pulley.

Does anybody know what size belt (or even better, Gates or Master Pro P/N) for the alternator/crank belt? Or even another source, since nobody seems to have them listed at the chain auto parts stores (O'Reilly, Advance, Auto Zone, etc.).

Yeah - that's what the Classic Auto Air guy said to do about the A/C compressor belt (because of the differences in pulley sizes). I was hoping for something a little more "just get this P/N."

But, that'll work too, I suppose.

rockauto.com...

=================

See attached list for every fan, alternator, power steering, air conditioning, 302, 351W, 351C, 2V, 4V, etc.

Includes lengths.

BeltPartNumberSizeList_RockAuto.txt

Attachments

• BeltPartNumberSizeList_RockAuto.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 19
Actually, that's very helpful - thank you! ::thumb::

I've discovered the middle 2 numbers in the P/Ns of the fan belts are typically the whole number measurement of the belt's diameter (some have fractional measurements). I currently have the Gates 7430 (which I discovered would most likely fit the alternator/water pump/crank routing, based on all the slack). It makes sense that the 1375 will fit just the alternator/crank routing, since it's a smaller diameter belt.

I will definitely need the ol' rope trick when it comes time to strapping up the A/C compressor though - but this should get me running this coming weekend without a second trip to the parts house.

Eric -

I would use the rope trick on your alt belt as well. I bought mine online ($25 - ouch) and it was just a bit too big. I ran it for a few miles and it was OK, then began to squeal under acceleration and I didn't have any more adjustment available, so I had to eat the cost of the belt and get one a size smaller. I wouldn't trust the application chart completely.

I'm running the same engine as you - 351C 2V with AC. I don't have the part number of the replacement belt. Otherwise, I'd tell you what it is.:(

Whatever belt you buy make sure it is "Concours correct" for your engine.

I bought some belts from a reputable online store only to discover

they did not properly fit the pulley. Wrong "V" pattern. When the engine

reached 4000 rpm they would begin to "squeal". Got the proper belts from

Marti Auto and no further problems. Just a thought.

mike

Back