Feels like its running out if gass??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a similar problem once that turned out to be defective mustard top coil.  Ran fine cold, as soon as engine (or surrounding air) warmed up the coil is would begin to act like it was starved for fuel.  Once the coil cooled down it would start right up, but it would then die after a few minutes.
Mustard top coil??
The factory coil had a sort of mustard yellow top to it. It is reproduced, but just how good is it???

If it were me, I'd look at two things, both of which have occurred on my car and frankly were a bear to figure out on my own. I'm not saying this is the case with yours, but.........

First; last year I replaced my gas tank and all my fuel lines. The reason was I was getting rust deposits in my inline fuel filter to the extent it practically blocked it. Now, I know this is controversial, but I have a filter between the apron and the pump to help protect the pump from junk. I also have sintered bronze filters in the inlets on the Holley carb, all of which can clog up. In my case, after crawling under the car, replacing what turned out to be a perfectly good tank, and installing 3/8" SS lines, new ETHANOL proof rubber fuel hose where needed, a new pump and a new 3/8" feed to the carb (rather than the orig. 5/16"), I found where the rust was coming from, the old lines. See pic.

Second; replace the old crappy points with a Pertronix Ignitor II electronic module AND the matching Flamethrower coil. I did not use one, wish I had known about it, but Pertronix make a relay to bypass the old resistor wire and supply a full 12 V to the coil. It's a very simple fix you won't regret. Once done and you get the car running, you may want to set up and recurve your distributor, but that's for another post.

EDIT NOTE: I should have mentioned the inline filter is STEEL, no plastic or glass!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting good fuel to the carb right after the car stalls I would look at the condenser and coil as has been mentioned.

Are you getting a nice fat spark when everything is warmed up?

I went through this on a Galaxie with points- it would run great until it was hot and / or under load. Condenser was bad.

Bumping this back up

New coil

Condenser

Fuel filter

Vacuum lines to distributor

Issue remains

No, it does not happen all the time. Fuel pump and eccentric are newer along with the hoses. I just drove it, would barely go around the block, then cleared up and ran great for a mile then died

The next time it dies, don't crank it, take the air cleaner off and see if fuel sqirts out of the accelerator pump nozzles.

There can be more fuel delivery issues than fuel pump and fuel filter.

Well, i took rhe car for gas. Went about 4 miles now im stuck. I have no spark to plugs, i do have spark to distributor cap

Well, right now my wife came and got me, its doa, no spark. Im charging the battery now and will try to jump it out

I am getting spark out of the coil. But none at the plugs

Check the center contact on the cap, the rotor, and confirm that the points are opening and closing properly I've had the rub block on the points break off. Chuck

Does the rotor turn while cranking the engine, maybe the roll pin sheared off of the distributor gear. Just a wild guess on my end but this has happened to me before.

Does the rotor turn while cranking the engine, maybe the roll pin sheared off of the distributor gear. Just a wild guess on my end but this has happened to me before.
Yes, it does

Ok, so i do not have spark at plugs

I have spark at ignition coil wire going to cap

I have replaced cap, rotor,condenser 

What is going on wirh this car???

I would say the spring on the rotor is not making contact with the center button on the inside of the cap.

Other possibilities:

Incorrect rotor

Spark too week to bridge the gap between the rotor and posts in the cap

Rotor out of phase with cap, so firing takes place between the posts.

What would cause a weak spark?

Have new coil & condenser  with no improvement

Are you getting spark at the end of the coil wire, or just right at the coil? A new coil does not guarantee proper function.

Is the coil correct for your application? Some coils are designed for reduced voltage input (ballast resistor or wire) and some aren't.

Check the resistance of the coil wire, the primary side of the coil, and the secondary side of the coil (ohms).

Im getting spark at the end of the wire. I have 2 voils, both do not help the issue

Back