FINISHED UNDERSIDE--PYPES EXHAUST

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think my collecter length is as long, was there enough material to connect to shorter length collectors? I am using Hooker Comp headers and I believe that they will be parallel to the tranny.

thx

-jbojo
Guess again - mine are also Hooker Competition (ceramic coated) headers. I purchased everything through Summit - be advised that the Hooker headers don't come with the collectors (black pieces) - they are a separate purchase, and only come in black. As a result, I had to bend the lead pipe sections of the Pypes kit 14-ish degrees to get them mated up to the headers. And yes - I whacked a solid 8-10" off the lead pipes at the header end.

Otherwise - the Pypes kit RAWKS!! It was very complete, easy to install, and sounds great. I'd like to hear/see more of Q's setup and how he addressed the things I ran into.
Thx Eric,

Yeah, I have the collectors already. I am going with the Pypes system but I have staggard shocks so the tailpipe will be an issue. Been talking to Dr Gas and they are going to start making GT pipes for the staggard shock cars again so if everyone who needs this mails them they will get them out quicker to meet the demand. I am on their list now for a set.

Dr. Gas! Exhaust

[email protected]

www.drgas.com

thx

-jbojo
I can get staggard shock systems with turn downs or for mach 1 tips

2 1/4 tail pipes

Scott,

How can you ever turn that car off? It sounds too good to not be making that music!

Couple of exhaust questions since I need a new exhaust system for the 71 M 4-speed car.

Do you have staggered shocks?

Any drone?

Off off topic question.

I need a new car cover & your looks nice. What do you use/recommend?

Pretty much finished up the underside detail..Got the pypes system installed..Still needs to welded up & tweaked a tad..But I'm going to have the guy who did my camaro system handle that..I can't be doing that on my back in the driveway..really need a lift..Plus I want to install v-band clamps at the muffler to tail pipe joint for easy removal if the need arises in the future.. Pretty nice system & sounds really good. I will try & get a vid up later..
Hey scott, I know this is an older thread but I am going to be buying the same kit as you and eric next week. Just wanted to know what clamps you ended up using?? Can you use band style with a pipe overlap or do they need to be flush cut and the band seal them?? Just wondering because I think band style looks a lot better. I was planning on welding all my joints except the muffler joints and I am also installing electric cutouts.

Input from anyone is welcome! thanks guys!

Pretty much finished up the underside detail..Got the pypes system installed..Still needs to welded up & tweaked a tad..But I'm going to have the guy who did my camaro system handle that..I can't be doing that on my back in the driveway..really need a lift..Plus I want to install v-band clamps at the muffler to tail pipe joint for easy removal if the need arises in the future.. Pretty nice system & sounds really good. I will try & get a vid up later..
Hey scott, I know this is an older thread but I am going to be buying the same kit as you and eric next week. Just wanted to know what clamps you ended up using?? Can you use band style with a pipe overlap or do they need to be flush cut and the band seal them?? Just wondering because I think band style looks a lot better. I was planning on welding all my joints except the muffler joints and I am also installing electric cutouts.

For now I just used the regular muffler clamps that came in the kit..everything slip fits into each other..Once I get the new motor fired I will be heading over to the guy who did my Camaro system..I'm going to have him weld / v-band http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-694250?seid=srese2 where it needs it..I see no reason why you couldn't band clamp the system with something like these..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692250/overview/

For now I just used the regular muffler clamps that came in the kit..everything slip fits into each other..Once I get the new motor fired I will be heading over to the guy who did my Camaro system..I'm going to have him weld / v-band http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-694250?seid=srese2 where it needs it..I see no reason why you couldn't band clamp the system with something like these..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692250/overview/

Thanks scott! Big difference in price! but I guess you get what you pay for.

I have been looking at this thread and others that talk about the Pypes SFM04. It seems like the system of choice. It sounds awesome!

I have a couple questions:

- Mine is a staggered shock so I guess I will have to go to a muffler shop to bend one side so it fits. Would you bring the car to any muffle shop or should I look for a performance oriented shop?

- how is the system shipped? how many pieces?

- I have the Hooker comp headers, I was not clear if it will fit them or I will need some slight bending as well?

- Do I need other pieces to hang or connect the system? I understand I need to get the adapter from the header down to 2.5" pipe.

Thanks.

Tony,

I'd used pics from my Facebook gallery when I originally posted them on page 2, so the links broke when FB changed gallery settings. I've updated them as attachments to this site.

Hope that helps.

I ended up returning my Pypes system and had a local shop custom bend and install a completely new stainless system for my car. I just could not get the Pypes system lined up just the way I wanted it. The price to have the custom exhaust made and installed was only about a $50 difference in the pypes kit.

I would go to a local show and ask around about a reputable exhaust shop. Im sure they could point you in the right direction for a local shop.

I ended up returning my Pypes system and had a local shop custom bend and install a completely new stainless system for my car. I just could not get the Pypes system lined up just the way I wanted it. The price to have the custom exhaust made and installed was only about a $50 difference in the pypes kit.

I would go to a local show and ask around about a reputable exhaust shop. Im sure they could point you in the right direction for a local shop.
Interesting. Was the problem the pipe going by the staggered shock? When you went to the shop did they use the old pipes as a guide?

Interesting. Was the problem the pipe going by the staggered shock? When you went to the shop did they use the old pipes as a guide?
No that was not the problem on mine. I do not have staggered rear shocks. But I have heard of this and also being very close to the sending unit on gas tank.

I just couldn't get it to fit like I wanted it to, even on my buddies lift. I have a ford 8.8 rear end in my car from a sport trac explorer and the housing is offset slightly to the passenger side. So that didn't help matters. It was very close to the driveshaft.

The shop I used did an awesome job on mine and I was extremely happy with the outcome. This was one of the FEW thing that I farmed out and did not do myself. If I could of used the pypes kit I was going to tig weld all the joints and band clamp the mufflers.

The shop even installed my electric cutouts for more. Although I did run the wiring and did the hookups.

No that was not the problem on mine. I do not have staggered rear shocks. But I have heard of this and also being very close to the sending unit on gas tank.

I just couldn't get it to fit like I wanted it to, even on my buddies lift. I have a ford 8.8 rear end in my car from a sport trac explorer and the housing is offset slightly to the passenger side. So that didn't help matters. It was very close to the driveshaft.

The shop I used did an awesome job on mine and I was extremely happy with the outcome. This was one of the FEW thing that I farmed out and did not do myself. If I could of used the pypes kit I was going to tig weld all the joints and band clamp the mufflers.

The shop even installed my electric cutouts for more. Although I did run the wiring and did the hookups.
Got ya... thanks for the info.

Tony,

I'd used pics from my Facebook gallery when I originally posted them on page 2, so the links broke when FB changed gallery settings. I've updated them as attachments to this site.

Hope that helps.
The only thing I am not liking about the Pypes system is the X crossover. From what I read the H sounds more throaty and gives better low end torque, which should fit me better, but there doesn't seem to be good H options out there short of having a custom one made.

So looking at your pictures I assume that the pipes come divided as two rear sections, mufflers, mid section with X, and the front appears divided in two sections.

From your post I also guess I have to bend that aft section slightly to fit the comp headers. And in my case there will be some tinkering to fit the staggered shock.

I am just trying to get an idea of the work that I have to farm out.

One more question, will there be space somewhere at the X to fit an air sensor. In the picture I see a flat piece at the bottom of the X. If there is one like that at the top of the X I guess it could be welded there except that it may interfere with the shaft. Otherwise, could the air sensor be welded somewhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember right, the Pypes system also offers an H-pipe kit. You can check on Summit Racing (that's where I bought mine from). But after checking the Pypes site, maybe not. Maybe it was that Summit Racing has an H-pipe kit. I'm not 100% sure - it's been 3 years - they might've discontinued H-pipe or something.

Air sensor... you mean O2 sensor for fuel injection? I'm going to put mine on the passenger side tube just south of the collector (ahead of the X-pipe). Biggest reason for that will be that the ECM will most likely wind up inside the cab on the passenger side (I haven't decided on that yet, to be honest), and the lead for the O2 sensor probably won't make it all the way back to the X-pipe anyway.

Here's a different view of the X-pipe - if you drill straight up through the plate on the bottom, you'll be drilling through some airspace as well as a weld to place the bung - might be tough to seal. Not to mention, the O2 sensor would be hanging down, just begging to be sheared off. And yes, you probably won't have room for the O2 sensor above the X-pipe, either.

exhaust2.jpg

With regards to you staggered shock set-up, you might just want to have an exhaust shop install a complete system. That way, you'll get exactly what you want.

Has anyone ever resolved the question of the Pypes SFM04 fitting with staggered shocks?

Are there any updates from anyone who has the Pypes kit? I would have to trailer the car quite a distance to get it to a muffler shop that is of any quality, so a kit that fits would be pretty fantastic.

Peter

Are there any updates from anyone who has the Pypes kit?  I would have to trailer the car quite a distance to get it to a muffler shop that is of any quality, so a kit that fits would be pretty fantastic.

Peter
I think somewhere in this board I read that if you have staggered shocks there will be some work involved in rerouting that side. That's one of the reasons I decided against purchasing the Pypes kit and taking it to a muffler shop.

So far what I have read is the same as what you saw.

1) Won't work with staggered shocks. (not a problem for me)

2) Is really close to the fuel sender on the tank.

My deal is that I live in a pretty rural area, with no performance muffler shops close. I can't make up my mind between getting the Pypes kit or going full thermonuclear and getting a pile of 2.5" stainless bends and straight pipes and investing a ton of time into cutting and stitching together my own.

I had mine professionally done in 2.5" stainless from the headers back and it was almost the same price as the PYPES kit. I ordered the PYPES kit and could not get it to fit for crap. A lot of people had good luck with them, but I was not one of them.

Back