First one gone at Mecum today.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fenders are different where the bumper liners up . There have been a few threads on this subject
As I look closer, I'm seeing that the rear honeycomb trim is banged up...wonder if the taillight panel is the same. The trim just ahead of Rt front wheel is really banged up. Maybe it's a 20 footer....but still, if the body isn't a rust bucket, would seem worth the sale price.

At First Glance this isn't a Mach 1 - it is badged as a Mach 1 but all of the components are wrong. THe VIN checks out, but the guages are wrong instead of engine instruments in the left hand panel - Mach 1s have a Tach, the door panels are wrong ect. It looks like someone restored it with no knowledge and on the cheap. For that kind of Money probably a good deal, and then bring it up to Mach 1 standards.
VIN's usually don't lie. Not all Mach 1's have a tach. I have one with a clock on the left side. Door panels are standard interior, not the full coverage deluxe with woodgrain and door pull.

VIN's usually don't lie. Not all Mach 1's have a tach. I have one with a clock on the left side. Door panels are standard interior, not the full coverage deluxe with woodgrain and door pull.
This is right. My car was an original Mach 1 with a 302, power steering, open highway gears, manual drum brakes, no AC, no tach. About as basic as you can get with a Mach 1..... But its still a Mach 1.

At First Glance this isn't a Mach 1 - it is badged as a Mach 1 but all of the components are wrong. THe VIN checks out, but the guages are wrong instead of engine instruments in the left hand panel - Mach 1s have a Tach, the door panels are wrong ect. It looks like someone restored it with no knowledge and on the cheap. For that kind of Money probably a good deal, and then bring it up to Mach 1 standards.
That’s not correct. I have an original 71 numbers matching 429CJ-R Mach 1 with a clock on left side and a block off plate for the console clock that says Mach 1. You can normally tell a Mach 1 by the staggered rear shocks if vin matches. The interior means nothing and could be ordered any way you wanted. I am adding the tach in mine since I think a 429 CJ should have one. 😁

That’s not correct. I have an original 71 numbers matching 429CJ-R Mach 1 with a clock on left side and a block off plate for the console clock that says Mach 1. You can normally tell a Mach 1 by the staggered rear shocks if vin matches. The interior means nothing and could be ordered any way you wanted. I am adding the tach in mine since I think a 429 CJ should have one. 😁
Isn’t staggered shocks only on 4 speed?

I believe ib4stangs is correct. Re: "You can normally tell a Mach 1 by the staggered rear shocks if vin matches" - Many Mach 1s did not have staggered shocks (like my entry-level 302-powered model was when built from Ford).

I have a C code 1971 429 car. It also has the clock to the left of the speedometer and the “MACH 1” block off plate in the center console.
The “competition suspension” was included in the Mach 1 (63R body). The tachometer was an option that had to be ordered.

I think a lot of the confusion with the 71-73 Mach 1s comes from the 69-70, which had an upgraded interior as standard. Our 71-73 cars had none of that. The Mach 1 became strictly a suspension and appearance model with the smallest V8 available. No gauges, no console, no nice molded door panels - all that was an extra cost option. If one goes back to my post on the first page, it covers all the standard equipment.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/first-one-gone-at-mecum-today.44496/#post-448020

Competition Suspension was standard on the Mach 1, but what that included depended upon the engine ordered. The 302-2V and 351-2V received HD springs and shocks, and the variable ratio Saginaw box if one ordered power steering. When any of the 4V engines were ordered (351-4V, 351CJ, 429CJ/SCJ) then it also included the staggered rear shocks, rear sway bar and a larger diameter front sway bar. To the best of my knowledge, the "4 speed only" staggered shocks was a 69-only feature with the 428CJ.

The clock/tach issue with the 71s was a one year only "feature", which Ford dropped in '72. The Mach 1 Sports Interior option included the center triple gauges, but unless you also ordered the Instrumentation Group, you did not get a tach. The clock occupied the left gauge pod, and if a console was ordered, it received the "Mach 1" block off plate in the clock position ( or "Mustang" if equipped on a base sportsroof)

1710176906832.png

I have a very stock "2F02Q" 4 speed parts car that had allot of options but no staggered rear shocks. Bought in the early 90's without 351C-4V and trans but had a NASA hood, A/C, tach, fold down, power steering / brakes and 3:25 Trac Lok. Not much left today but a shell from firewall back with rear on rollers. I just looked under it again and there was never a body bracket for the staggard left shock mount for competition suspension. All 4 vin #'s matched and car was unmolested until I got it.
Might be because it was just a Sportsroof and not a Mach 1 but this "Q" code didn't get it. Never bought a Marti Report but always wondered why it was ordered like it was. I'm sure it was a "one of one" with 2B bright red exterior and a green standard interior too...

Mine is a c code 429cj with Delux interior and a/c and a c-6 . It has staggered shocks also. It had a clock and no tach either. I think auto trans Mach’s had no tack. Or it was ordered that wayIDK. I did install one as a kid ,and it still works

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpeg
    IMG_5678.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back