First one gone at Mecum today.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At First Glance this isn't a Mach 1 - it is badged as a Mach 1 but all of the components are wrong. THe VIN checks out, but the guages are wrong instead of engine instruments in the left hand panel - Mach 1s have a Tach, the door panels are wrong ect. It looks like someone restored it with no knowledge and on the cheap. For that kind of Money probably a good deal, and then bring it up to Mach 1 standards.

Last edited:
At First Glance this isn't a Mach 1 - it is badged as a Mach 1 but all of the components are wrong. THe VIN checks out, but the guages are wrong instead of engine instruments in the left hand panel - Mach 1s have a Tach, the door panels are wrong ect. It looks like someone restored it with no knowledge and on the cheap. For that kind of Money probably a good deal, and then bring it up to Mach 1 standards.
Well sorry but this is a Mach1. It has many things not exactly correct, but it is a Mach (according to the VIN shown) with the basic interior. Mach 1 did not all have a tach, it depended on the options you ordered.
My 71 Mach 1 was ordered as basic as it came, standard interior, no PS or PB, engine gauge lights (Idiot lights). The only options listed on my Marti are 351C 4V, 4 speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter, AM radio and that's it.......... but it's still a Mach 1.

Well sorry but this is a Mach1. It has many things not exactly correct, but it is a Mach (according to the VIN shown) with the basic interior. Mach 1 did not all have a tach, it depended on the options you ordered.
My 71 Mach 1 was ordered as basic as it came, standard interior, no PS or PB, engine gauge lights (Idiot lights). The only options listed on my Marti are 351C 4V, 4 speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter, AM radio and that's it.......... but it's still a Mach 1.
Both of my 1973s were outfitted pretty much the same. I was under the impression that Mach 1 was a trim level. As we all know in those day the Dealerships could do any and all things. I do agree the VIN number shows Mach 1, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Both of my 1973s were outfitted pretty much the same. I was under the impression that Mach 1 was a trim level. As we all know in those day the Dealerships could do any and all things. I do agree the VIN number shows Mach 1, so I don't now.
Agreed.
Actually, I wish Mach 1 was a trim level. When you ordered a Mach 1, you got the works, but noooo Ford didn't do it that way. If you didn't order it you didn't get it, but as you mention, the dealership could add most, but not all, options.
I have a friend who ordered his car in 71, but somehow forgot to check the one thing he wanted, air conditioning, so no AC and he still regrets it and still has the car.

Both of my 1973s were outfitted pretty much the same. I was under the impression that Mach 1 was a trim level. As we all know in those day the Dealerships could do any and all things. I do agree the VIN number shows Mach 1, so I don't know.

The Mach 1 was it's own model with it's own VIN code (05), like the Grande (04).

Dealerships could do a lot of things, mostly on their own after the car arrived. Getting it built by Ford out of specification required a lot more than just checking a box.

For the 1971 model year, the standard content on the Mach 1 was reduced. Included were:

• SportsRoof body style with unique "05" VIN code & "63R" body code on the door tag
  • Color-keyed urethane front "spoiler" bumper & front fender and hood trim
  • Honeycomb grille in black w/sportlamps
  • Argent or black "Mach 1 – MUSTANG" decals on fenders
  • Argent or black stripe and "Mach 1" decal on the trunk lid
  • Argent or black lower body accent paint
  • Bright trim at lower body paint line
  • E70-14 white sidewall tires w/ hub caps & trim rings on 7" wide steel wheels
  • Color-keyed dual racing mirror w/driver side remote
  • Honeycomb taillight panel applique with bright trim
  • Unique pop-open gas cap
  • F-code 302-2V engine w/3 speed manual transmission
  • Competition Suspension (HD springs & shocks), variable quick-ratio steering box if ordered with P/S
  • Base Mustang vinyl interior
  • Flat hood – the NACA scooped hood was a no-cost option for the base engine

Last edited:
I noticed that the hockey decals were misaligned at the front marker lights, and also a little at the back bumper.
319200 Misaligned decal to front markers.jpeg 885726 Decal Misfit at Rear Bumper.jpeg
Can anyone tell me the marker placement measurements between the 71 and 73 fenders so I can determine if I have the correct fenders on my 71? I'd like to know before before body work commences and address it accordingly.

I noticed that the hockey decals were misaligned at the front marker lights, and also a little at the back bumper.
319200 Misaligned decal to front markers.jpeg 885726 Decal Misfit at Rear Bumper.jpeg
Can anyone tell me the marker placement measurements between the 71 and 73 fenders so I can determine if I have the correct fenders on my 71? I'd like to know before before body work commences and address it accordingly.
Fenders are different where the bumper liners up . There have been a few threads on this subject

Back